1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem of Calculus: derivative, i guess logarithmic differentiation

1. Jun 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Image of the problem: http://prntscr.com/addkf

2. Relevant equations

My question is how I can solve the equation I gave above.

Should I use logarithmic differentiation?

Because I think that the logarithmic differentiation is used when y = (the equation) but my problem is f (x) = (the equation).

3. The attempt at a solution

Possible solutions: http://prntscr.com/addwu

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2012 #2
    try using (f+g)'=f'+g', then use logarithmic differentiation for f and g separately.

In your link to worked example, first option is wrong because you never took derivative in sense of a^(5x-1) for instance. Second option is wrong because Log does not distrubute across addition like that.

4. Jun 10, 2012 #3
    What about this possible solution to the problem:([itex]x^{(5x-1)}[/itex][itex]\frac{5x-1}{x}[/itex]+5lnx) - 2x[itex]e^{(11-x^2)}[/itex]

5. Jun 10, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello BlaZz. Welcome to PF !

It really helps us, if you make your images visible in your post.

attachment.php?attachmentid=48215&stc=1&d=1339372887.png

attachment.php?attachmentid=48216&stc=1&d=1339372979.png

Show us how you got that.

The [itex]\displaystyle -2x\,e^{11-x^2}[/itex] is the derivative of [itex]\displaystyle e^{11-x^2}.[/itex]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  6. Jun 10, 2012 #5
    I attach the procedure for which i got the result, i need that someone say me if i am right or wrong.

Thanks to all the members that comment in my thread and try to help me.

Attached Files:

7. Jun 10, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

attachment.php?attachmentid=48226&d=1339384422.png
    Yes, that answer looks fine !

8. Jun 12, 2012 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, I gave the x5x-1 term to WolframAlpha to differentiate.

WolframAlpha did not use logarithmic differentiation. Instead, it used the following scheme.
    Suppose we have a function that can be expressed in the following way,

[itex]\displaystyle f(x)=g\left(u(x),\,v(x)\right)[/itex]

then the derivative of f(x) can be obtained as follows.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}f(x)=\frac{d}{dx}g\left(u(x),\,v(x) \right)=\frac{\partial g(u,v)}{\partial u}\frac{d\,u(x)}{dx}+\frac{\partial g(u,v)}{\partial v}\frac{d\,v(x)}{dx}[/itex]
    For the case of [itex]\displaystyle f(x)=x^{5x-1}\,,[/itex] we have [itex]\displaystyle g(u,\,v)=u^v\,,[/itex] where [itex]\displaystyle u(x)=x\,,[/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle u(x)=5x-1\,.[/itex]

∂g/∂u treats the function g, as if the base of the expression, in this case x by itself, is the part with the variable, and treats the exponent as being constant, as is the case of a power function.

∂g/∂v treats the exponent of the expression, in this case x by itself, as being the part with the variable, and treats the base as being constant, as is the case of an exponential function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook