1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem: properties of Fourier Transforms in Quantum Mechanics

1. May 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to derive a property of the Fourier Transform of the wave function.
    [tex]F[\psi(cx)]=\frac{1}{|c|}\overline{\psi}\left(\frac{p}{c}\right)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    The Fourier transform of [tex]\overline{\psi}(p)[/tex] is defined as
    [tex] \overline{\psi}(p)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}px}\psi(x)dx[/tex]
    and the inverse fourier transform
    [tex]\psi(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{\frac{i}{\hbar}px}\overline{\psi}(p)dp[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried changing the integration variable
    [tex]u=cx[/tex]
    Then
    [tex]\psi(u)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{\frac{i}{\hbar}pu}\overline{\psi}(p)dp[/tex]
    But when I took the fourier transform and substituted [tex]u=cx[/tex] I did not manage to get the desired result.

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

You're using the wrong Fourier Transform.

[tex]F[\psi(c x)]=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \hbar}} \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-\frac{i}{h} p x} \psi(c x) dx[/tex]

Use the same substitution as you did previously and work it out from here.

4. May 4, 2009 #3
    Thanks, but why is there a modulus involved?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook