Problem solving 2 variable equal triangle problem

In summary: However, I ran into a brick wall when trying to use the Pythagorean theorem on the large triangle to find $x$ and $d$.
jeflon
I solved this many years ago, but after revisiting Trig in order to tutor my daughter, I revisited this to stimulate myself but am hitting a brick wall.

Problem:
A 4 inch square sits in a corner(picture x,y origin). A 12 inch ruler or line leans against the wall at an angle such that there are 3 points of contact: wall, the outer corner of the block, and the floor.
At what point on the ruler does the corner of the block make contact?

Efforts:
We know that the upper triangle and lower triangle are of same angles. (Ruler passes through 2 parallel lines, being the floor and the top of the 4 inch block. So the trig function ratios are equal.
I have gone the route of setting the large triangle hypotenuse (12) equal to the sum of the hypotenuses of the smaller triangles leading me down a path that still leaves me with 2 variables.

I would appreciate some input as to a fresh way of approaching this problem, not necessarily the answer.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would draw a diagram:

View attachment 2006

By similarity, we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{y}{4}=\frac{4}{x}\implies y=\frac{16}{x}\)

Using the Pythagorean theorem on the large triangle, we may write:

\(\displaystyle (x+4)^2+(y+4)^2=12^2\)

Now using the expression for $y$ in terms of $x$ to get an equation in one variable. Once you have $x$, then you may determine $d$ using the Pythagorean theorem where:

\(\displaystyle x^2+4^2=d^2\)

Attachments

• jeflon.jpg
    jeflon.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 39
Many thanks, I had your step one and two but it was after making it more complicated than it needed to be and going off in wrong directions.
thanks again.

MarkFL said:
I would draw a diagram:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/2006

By similarity, we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{y}{4}=\frac{4}{x}\implies y=\frac{16}{x}\)

Using the Pythagorean theorem on the large triangle, we may write:

\(\displaystyle (x+4)^2+(y+4)^2=12^2\)

Now using the expression for $y$ in terms of $x$ to get an equation in one variable. Once you have $x$, then you may determine $d$ using the Pythagorean theorem where:

\(\displaystyle x^2+4^2=d^2\)

I would be inclined to write that the entire horizontal length from the origin to the ruler as being length x, considering it's the position it will take on the x axis...

Prove It said:
I would be inclined to write that the entire horizontal length from the origin to the ruler as being length x, considering it's the position it will take on the x axis...

I went that direction also in some of my attempts, labeling unknown x,y with respect to large triangle as x-4 and y-4 respectively.

1. How do I solve a 2 variable equal triangle problem?

To solve a 2 variable equal triangle problem, you will need to use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. You will also need to use the fact that the two sides of an equal triangle are equal in length.

2. What is a variable in a 2 variable equal triangle problem?

A variable in a 2 variable equal triangle problem is a letter or symbol used to represent an unknown value. In this type of problem, the variables typically represent the lengths of the sides of the triangle.

3. Can I solve a 2 variable equal triangle problem without using the Pythagorean theorem?

No, the Pythagorean theorem is essential in solving 2 variable equal triangle problems. It is a fundamental concept in geometry and is used to find the lengths of the sides of a right triangle.

4. What is the purpose of solving a 2 variable equal triangle problem?

The purpose of solving a 2 variable equal triangle problem is to determine the lengths of the sides of the triangle. This information can be useful in various real-life scenarios, such as construction, navigation, and engineering.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving 2 variable equal triangle problems?

Yes, there are various shortcuts or tricks that can be used to solve 2 variable equal triangle problems. These include using special right triangles, such as 30-60-90 and 45-45-90 triangles, and recognizing patterns in the numbers to simplify the calculations.