Problem With Cylinder Involving Mass and Volume

In summary, the problem involves a cylinder with two sections of different densities, 4.5 and 6.4 g/cm^3, a radius of 6cm, and a total length of 19cm with a mass of 11833 grams. The task is to find the length of the lighter density section. The solution involves setting up equations for the mass and length of each section and solving for the unknown length.
The James

Homework Statement

There is a cylinder with two sections (not straight down the middle). One has density 4.5(g/cm^3) the other with 6.4. The radius of the cylinder is 6cm and the total length is 19cm. The total mass is 11833 grams. I need to find the length of the lighter density section of the cylinder.

Homework Equations

A of circle = pi*r^2
V = B*h
D = m/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I could easily solve this problem if I knew the steps to take. The total volume is about 113 cm^3, but I don't see how I can apply that information. Also, am I correct in thinking that densities cannot be combined? Sorry for the measly attempt, it is just that I am unable to find a way to solve this. The math should be easy. I just need a plan.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can write plenty of equations. For example write equations for ...

1) The mass of the low density part MLD as a function of it's unknown length LLD
2) The mass of the high density part MHD as a function of it's unknown length LHD

You can also write v.simple equations such as ones for..

3) The total mass MTOTas a function of MLD and MHD
4) The total Length LTOT as a function of LLD and LHD

Then you will have lots of equations and some unknowns. Solve.

What is the problem with cylinders involving mass and volume?

The problem with cylinders involving mass and volume is that the mass and volume are not always directly proportional. This means that as the volume of the cylinder increases, the mass may not increase at the same rate, causing difficulties when trying to accurately calculate the mass of a cylinder.

How can I calculate the mass of a cylinder?

To calculate the mass of a cylinder, you will need to know the density of the material it is made of, as well as its volume. The formula for calculating mass is mass = density x volume. Make sure to use consistent units for both density and volume.

What if I don't know the density of the material?

If you do not know the density of the material, you can try to find it online or in a reference book. If that is not possible, you can measure the mass and volume of the cylinder and compare it to the mass and volume of a known material with a similar shape and size. This can give you an approximate density to use in your calculations.

Why is it important to accurately calculate the mass of a cylinder?

Accurately calculating the mass of a cylinder is important in many scientific and practical applications. It can help determine the strength and stability of structures, the amount of material needed for construction or manufacturing, and even the amount of force needed to move or transport the cylinder.

Are there any other factors that can affect the mass of a cylinder?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the mass of a cylinder, such as the temperature and pressure of the environment it is in, the accuracy of the measuring tools used, and any imperfections or irregularities in the shape of the cylinder. It is important to consider and account for these factors when calculating the mass of a cylinder.