Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Problem with directional derivative

1. Jul 1, 2016 #1
    Hi guys! i have a problem, and i'm unable to solvie it :/
    I have this two variable function: it is 0 in {0,0} while it is (x^3 y^2)/(x^2+Abs(y)^(2a)) elsewhere.
    do...given the vector {l1,l2} they are asking me: for which "a" the directional derivative along that vector exist in {0,0}? and when it exist what it is? Despite the fact that i know the background theory i'm unable to do the problem, in particular i'm unable to complete the necessary limit :/

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2016 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is this homework?

4. Jul 2, 2016 #3
    what do u mean by homework?

5. Jul 2, 2016 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Like - you are taking a course and you have been given some problems to solve .

6. Jul 2, 2016 #5

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

The question looks like as if the homework template should have been used. If you start a thread there - in this case in
    https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/calculus-and-beyond-homework.156/
    then the template will automatically be applied:
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Thus, e.g. the definition of the directional derivative would be expected in section 2 and some effort from your side to solve the problem in section 3, i.e. where exactly did you get stuck and why. This is not meant to peeve you! It is meant to lay a common basis on which we can solve the problem together. Don't forget this is internet and the chances are high, that we might misunderstand each other. So the template serves the function of clarification.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted