Problem with max and min, i found half solution, need the other half

• Thread starter Born2Perform
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Max
In summary, the function y = 2x^2 - 4x + 2 has intersections with the y and x axes at points A(1,0) and B(0,2) respectively. To find a point P within the parabolic sector formed by these two points, where the sum of its coordinates is minimum and maximum, the function x + 2x^2 - 4x + 2 is set and its derivative is found to be 4x-3. The derivative changes sign at x=3/4, and after checking the values at the limits of the range, it is determined that the minimum point is P(3/4, 1/8) and the maximum point
Born2Perform
Sorry for bad translation, but data are ok:

Homework Statement

-you have the curve [tex]y = 2x^2 - 4x + 2[/tex]
-find its intersections with y and x axis, call them A and B.
-in the parabolic sector limited by these two points, find a point P, in the way that the sum of its cohordinates is minimum and maximum.
---------------
results:
P cohordinates for minimum sum are (3/4 ; 1/8),
for max sum:(0 ; 2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the general cohordinates of P are P(x ; 2x²-4x+2), so i set the function:
y=x+2x²-4x+2 and calculate where it has min or maximums, with the condition of [tex]0 \leq x \leq 1[/tex].

so y'=4x-3: 4x-3 > 0, x > 3/4. now i should put in the disequation the condition [tex]0 \leq x \leq 1[/tex] right? but it goes wrong.

it gives me a maximum in x=0, ok, a minimum in x=3/4, ok, and another maximum in x=1, not ok.
for me it's the first attempt to those problems please tell me where I'm wrong.
(i didn't put cohordinates as absolute values because i saw that in that "x" interval they are ok as i put them).

Physics news on Phys.org
can you explain how you got a maximum at 1?
you get a min point in 3/4 because the of the first derivative changes sign there.
then you check x=0 and x=1 to see if there are maximum points there. f(x) is bigger then f(1) so there is a max at 0 but not at 1.

Gregie666 said:
can you explain how you got a maximum at 1?
you get a min point in 3/4 because the of the first derivative changes sign there.
then you check x=0 and x=1 to see if there are maximum points there. f(x) is bigger then f(1) so there is a max at 0 but not at 1.

i think i understood, but, what's wrong if i set the sistem of disequations and solve it? please view this picture:i get a max in 1

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/743/derivss3.th.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The intersection with the x-axis is, of course, (0, 2) and the intersection with the y-axis is where y= 2x2-4x+ 2= 0. That is the same as
x2- 2x+ 1= (x- 1)2 so, yes, the intersection with the y-axis is (1, 0). That means you are looking for the maximum and minimum values of x+ y= x+ 2x2- 4x+ 2= 2x2- 3x+ 2 on the interval [itex]0\le x\le 1[/itex]. The derivative is 4x- 3 and that equals 0 only when x= 3/4.

Now, the theorem is "Every continuous function has both maximum and minimum values on a closed, bounded interval. If the function is differentiable, those values may occur in the interior of the interval, where the derivative is 0, or at the endpoints of the interval.

To find the absolute maximum and minimum of this function on the interval [itex]0\le x\le 1[/itex], evaluate the function at x= 0, 3/4, and 1.

take a look at this picture:
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3936/graphfq9.th.jpg

it shows the function and the derivative.
the picture you posted is wrong. nether the function nor the derivetive change direction at 0 or 1.

when you want to find min/max points do the following:
1. find the derivitive of the function
2. find any points where the derivitive changes sign. these are the local min/max points. check their value.
3. check the value of the function at the limits of your range

in your case the derivitive changes sign at only one point. so that's (3/4, 7/8).
in the limits of your range there is (0,2) and (1, 1).
clearly the lowest point is (3/4, 7/8) and the highest is (0,2).
put those values in your original function and you get (0,2) and (3/4, 1/8)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the problem with finding the maximum and minimum values?

The problem with finding the maximum and minimum values is that there may be multiple local maxima and minima within a given dataset, making it difficult to determine the overall global maximum and minimum.

2. How did you find half of the solution?

I used a mathematical approach, such as differentiation or optimization techniques, to find one of the extreme values of the dataset. This is considered half of the solution because it only gives us one of the two extreme values.

3. Why do you need the other half of the solution?

In order to accurately determine the global maximum and minimum values, we need both the maximum and minimum values. Having only one of these values may lead to incorrect conclusions or decisions based on the data.

4. Can't you just iterate through the dataset to find the other half of the solution?

In some cases, iterating through the dataset may work. However, this approach can be time-consuming and may not always give accurate results. It is more efficient to use mathematical methods to find the other half of the solution.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the maximum and minimum values?

Yes, there are limitations. Some datasets may have multiple global maxima and minima, making it impossible to find a single solution. Additionally, the accuracy of the solution depends on the quality and completeness of the dataset.