1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with Net Coulombic Force

1. Jul 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider an ## n ##-dimensional solid sphere of radius ##R##, with uniform charge-density and a total charge ##Q##. A charged particle ##q## is kept at a distance of ##r## from the center. For ##r<R##, what is the Net Coulombic Force experienced by the particle?

If it is in the form of

$$\displaystyle\vec{F_{c}}= \left(\dfrac{\color{blue}{m}}{\color{blue}{p}.\varepsilon_{0}}\right).\left(\dfrac{(\color{blue}{a}+2)!}{\left(\Gamma\left(\dfrac{\color{blue}{b}}{\color{blue}{c}}\right)\right)^{\color{blue}{x}}.\color{blue}{w^{y}}}\right)$$
    Find ##\color{blue}{ m+p+a+b+c+w+x+y}##

Details and Assumptions:

• ##n=12##, ##Q=10 \text{ C}##, ##q=1.4 \text{ C}##, ##r=5 \text{ cm}##, ##R=13\text{ cm}##.

• All the letters represent integers and are not necessarily distinct. ##m## and ##n##, ##b## and ##c## are coprime.

• ##\varepsilon_{0}## is the constant of permittivity of free space.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

A friend of mine had discovered this question somewhere on the Net. Unfortunately neither of us has any idea as to how to solve this problem. I think it involves Calculus to a degree,but I really don't know anything else about it. I would be truly grateful if somebody could kindly give me a full solution. Many, many thanks in advance!

PS. I just cannot understand why the LaTeX is not working. I'm really sorry for that.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2015 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

4. Jul 28, 2015 #3
  5. Jul 28, 2015 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

A 12-dimensional sphere with uniform charge density? I have no idea what that even means.

Where did you get this problem?

6. Jul 28, 2015 #5
    Sir, a friend of mine had come across this problem. I'm afraid I don't know where he found it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted