Problem with posting a new thread

• Complaint
  • Thread starter Buzz Bloom
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a problem with posting a new thread containing technical symbols, such as OMEGA, and the tool bar at the top being grayed out. The individual has tried using the gear icon to enable the other icons, but it does not work. A suggestion is made to try using a different browser, and the individual confirms that it works with Chrome. They also mention successfully using the squarerootOfx tool to insert symbols like lambda. The conversation ends with the individual thanking for the help.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
I am having a problem posting a new thread with technical symbols, e.g. OMEGA in the text. I entered a prefix, title, and summary. The bar at the top of the "Enter Text" box with all the icons for formatting, and symbols, etc. is grayed out. Can you help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
The little gear icon in that bar may still be enabled. If so, click it and see if it enables the others.

@Buzz Bloom, what browser are you using? I've found that with IE 11, I've encountered a similar situation, with the tool menu at the top being grayed out. I can turn on (ungray) to menu bar using the gear icon, but the bold and color menus don't do anything. I've since given up on IE 11 for PF, and am now using Chrome.

I am reading this topic.
Putting the word OMEGA and then using gear icon for making BB Code:
OMEGA
What it does not do anything. Just the tool bar icons become gray or ungray.
OMEGAΩ
With the toolbar icon buttons ungray, the squarerootOfx tool let's me choose various text symbols including whatever that symbol shown next to OMEGA is called. One more try: Attempt to make lambda, λ

Likes Buzz Bloom
Nugatory said:
The little gear icon in that bar may still be enabled. If so, click it and see if it enables the others.
Your reply was very helpful and solved all my problems. Thank you very much.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes berkeman and Wrichik Basu

1. Why am I unable to post a new thread?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a technical glitch on the website, a problem with your internet connection, or an error in the information you are trying to post. It is also possible that the forum has restrictions on new thread postings, such as a minimum number of posts required before creating a new thread.

2. How can I fix the problem with posting a new thread?

The first step would be to check your internet connection and make sure it is stable. If the issue persists, try clearing your browser's cache and cookies and then try again. If the problem still persists, you can reach out to the website's customer support for further assistance.

3. Is there a limit on the number of threads I can post?

Most forums have a limit on the number of threads a user can post in a certain period to prevent spamming. Make sure you are not exceeding this limit. If you are, try waiting for a while before posting a new thread.

4. Can I edit or delete a thread after posting it?

This depends on the forum's policies. Some forums allow users to edit or delete their own threads, while others do not. If you are unable to edit or delete your thread, you can reach out to the forum moderators for assistance.

5. What should I do if my thread is not getting any responses?

If your thread is not getting any responses, try rephrasing your question or providing more information to make it more engaging. You can also try posting your thread in a different section of the forum or reaching out to other users directly for their input.