Problem with python code. Combinations of 2-state vectors

In summary, the programmer was trying to find all permutations of a four-element vector that contains only 1s and -1s. They created a number of vectors and attempted to match each vector against a list of 1s and -1s. If a vector matched a list, they randomly changed the sign of an element of the vector and checked the vector against the list again. If the vector didn't match a list, they replaced one of the lists in the vector.
wyosteve
I am trying to find all combinations of a four element vector that contains only 1's and -1's.
Ex (1,1,1,1),(-1,1,1,1),...(-1,-1,-1,-1) etc
My idea to do this is pretty inefficient I am sure but I can't think of another way to do it, so here is what I was trying to do.
I found how many total vectors there would be, then created that many empty lists. I began with vector `A` and then compared this to each list in `vectors`. If `A` matched any of the lists then I randomly changed the sign of an element of `A`, and then again checked the new list `A` against `vectors`. If `A` didn't find a match then it replaced on of the lists in `vectors`, and the while loop was incremented by 1. This should proceed until all possible combinations have been found and printed.
However my code is just spitting out the first change in `vectors` then continually looping without adding any new `A`'s to `vectors`. Can anyone spot what in my code isn't doing what I intended it to do and/or point me in the right direction? Thanks

Code:
import random
    numvec = 2**4 # number of macrostates for a 4 component 2-state system

vectors = [[0,0,0,0] for i in range(numvec)] #initializing the numvec vectors 
    A = [1,1,1,1]
    i = 0
    while i < 16:
        if any(x == A for x in vectors):
            y = random.randrange(0, 3)
            A[y] = A[y] * -1
        else:
            vectors[i] = A
            print vectors[i] 
            i += 1

print vectors

Oh and again I realize this method is incredibly inefficient but as this is a homework assignment I am more concerned with being able to get python to do what I want it to do, then using a bunch of built in functions to do the work for me. Thanks again.

Technology news on Phys.org
never mind, figured it out (with help)

1. What is the meaning of 2-state vectors in Python?

In Python, 2-state vectors refer to a set of two different states or values that can be represented by binary digits, 0 and 1. These vectors are commonly used in coding to represent boolean values or to perform logical operations.

2. How can I generate combinations of 2-state vectors in my Python code?

To generate combinations of 2-state vectors in Python, you can use the itertools.product() function. This function takes in two or more iterables (such as lists or strings) and returns a list of tuples, each containing a combination of the elements from the iterables.

3. What is the purpose of working with combinations of 2-state vectors in Python?

Working with combinations of 2-state vectors in Python allows for the creation of binary patterns and the implementation of logical operations. This is useful in fields such as computer science, data analysis, and cryptography.

4. How can I use combinations of 2-state vectors to solve a problem in my code?

Combinations of 2-state vectors can be used in various ways to solve problems in Python. For example, you can use them to filter and manipulate data, generate binary patterns for encryption, or create logical conditions for decision making.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using combinations of 2-state vectors in Python?

One limitation of using combinations of 2-state vectors in Python is that they can only represent boolean values or binary patterns, which may not be suitable for all types of data. Additionally, working with large sets of combinations can lead to performance issues in your code. It is important to consider these factors when using 2-state vectors in your code.