Why is spaces equal to tree_height-1 in the Christmas tree code in Python?

In summary, the code for the Christmas tree in Python starts by asking for the tree height and then uses a while loop and for loops to print out the tree using spaces and hashtags. The value for spaces is initially set to tree_height - 1 to account for the cursor placement, and the number of symbols for each row is calculated using the formula 2i-1, where i represents the line number.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :giggle:

I found online the following code for a christmas tree in Python :
Code:
tree_height = input("Enter the tree height : ")
tree_height = int(tree_height)
spaces = tree_height-1
hashes = 1
stump_spaces = tree_height-1

while tree_height != 0 :
    for i in range(spaces):
        print(' ', end="")
    for i in range(hashes):
        print('#', end="")
    print()
    tree_height -= 1
    spaces -= 1
    hashes += 2
for i in range(stump_spaces):
    print(' ', end="")
print('#',end="")

Could you explain to me why the "spaces" is at the beginning equal to "tree_height-1" ? Shouldn't it be the half of that? :unsure:

Technology news on Phys.org
What do you think the spaces value should be? $\displaystyle \frac{h-1}{2}$?

Jameson said:
What do you think the spaces value should be? $\displaystyle \frac{h-1}{2}$?

When the spaces is equal to the height doesn't the tree start from the left end instead in the middle? :unsure:

The tree width at the next-to-bottom row is twice the height. So, if you entered '20' at the input line, the first row would have one symbol, the second row would have 3, the third row would have 5, and so on. The second-to-last row will have 39 symbols, not 20 or 19 or 21.

Ackbach said:
The tree width at the next-to-bottom row is twice the height. So, if you entered '20' at the input line, the first row would have one symbol, the second row would have 3, the third row would have 5, and so on. The second-to-last row will have 39 symbols, not 20 or 19 or 21.

So the number of symbols is $2i-1$ for the line $i$, right? I haven't really understood the formula for the spaces. Could you explain that further to me ? :unsure:

mathmari said:
So the number of symbols is $2i-1$ for the line $i$, right? I haven't really understood the formula for the spaces. Could you explain that further to me ? :unsure:
Yes, that's right!

spaces is initially equal to tree_height - 1, because tree_height is roughly half the horizontal distance from the far left to the far right on the second-to-last row. You want to "put your cursor" ready-to-print right before the exact character you need to print, hence the -1.

1. What is Python?

Python is a high-level, interpreted programming language that is widely used for its simplicity, versatility, and powerful libraries. It was created by Guido van Rossum in 1991 and has become one of the most popular languages for data analysis, web development, and automation.

2. What is the purpose of explaining Python code?

The purpose of explaining Python code is to make it easier for others to understand and use the code. This is especially important in collaborative projects or when sharing code with others. Explaining the code can also help with troubleshooting and debugging.

3. How do you write an explanation of Python code?

To write an explanation of Python code, you should first understand the code yourself. Then, break down the code into smaller parts and explain the purpose and function of each part. You can also use comments in the code itself to provide explanations.

4. What are some tips for writing a clear explanation of Python code?

Some tips for writing a clear explanation of Python code include using simple language, providing examples, and being concise. It's also helpful to include details such as the input and output of the code and any important variables or functions used.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Python code explanations?

The best way to improve your understanding of Python code explanations is to practice reading and writing them. You can also seek out resources such as tutorials, documentation, and online communities to learn from others. Additionally, actively asking questions and seeking clarification can also help improve your understanding.