Problem with Rubber and Metal Ball Analogy

In summary, the stretched rubber & metal ball analogy is not meant to be a complete explanation of gravity, but rather a simplified illustration of the concept of space-time curvature in the general theory of relativity. It is not a perfect analogy, as it does rely on gravity to explain gravity, but it serves as a helpful visualization tool for understanding the effects of massive objects on the fabric of space-time.
jdeboi
I'm struggling to understand how the stretched rubber & metal ball analogy explains the relativistic conception of gravity. It's possible that there is a simple and obvious solution to my confusion. It's also possible that this question has been answered many times. But I'll go ahead and ask anyways.

An object with mass dents spacetime in the same way that a bowling ball dents a trampoline. If I roll tennis balls across the trampoline, their trajectory will be affected by the dip. They might crash into, orbit, or fly off in an alternate direction after passing the heavy ball. Replace tennis balls with, say, planets. Cool. And the bowling ball? How about the sun. Gotcha. So far so good.

My problem is this: it seems to me that the tennis balls on the trampoline accelerate towards the bowling ball/dented space because of gravity, in the same way that any object will roll down a ramp or hill. So, I don't understand how this analogy gets any closer to explaining gravity if it depends upon gravity for the demonstration to work.

Or is this just a 3D model to illustrate how massive objects are "aware" of the presence of other massive objects and a not a model used to explain the process by which objects like planets accelerate towards one another in a 4D universe?

Am I completely missing the point or failing to notice something obvious?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
jdeboi said:
I'm struggling to understand how the stretched rubber & metal ball analogy explains the relativistic conception of gravity. It's possible that there is a simple and obvious solution to my confusion.
Have a look at this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=286926
jdeboi said:
My problem is this: it seems to me that the tennis balls on the trampoline accelerate towards the bowling ball/dented space because of gravity,
Yes, it is a circular explanation using gravity to explain gravity. Forget it, look at the links given here for better analogies:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2244927&postcount=21

jdeboi said:
So, I don't understand how this analogy gets any closer to explaining gravity if it depends upon gravity for the demonstration to work.

The analogy is not an explanation of gravity. It is only meant as a non-technical illustration of certain aspects of the general theory of relativity.

In general relativity, it is space-time that curves. This means, the "warping" occurs on a region that is four dimensional.

Humans tend to have problems imagining in four dimensions, let alone imagining "warps" in these dimensions. So the analogy reduces the warping to a 2 dimensional object (a sheet of rubber) so that we can visualize something, instead of having to talk in abstract mathematical terms all the time. It is analogous only in that respect.

1. How does the rubber and metal ball analogy explain a problem?

The rubber and metal ball analogy is often used to explain the concept of elasticity in materials. It compares a rubber ball, which bounces back after being compressed, to a metal ball, which does not bounce back as much. This analogy can be used to illustrate problems with materials that do not exhibit the expected level of elasticity, which can lead to issues such as structural failures.

2. What are some real-world examples of the problem with the rubber and metal ball analogy?

Some real-world examples of the problem with the rubber and metal ball analogy include the collapse of the Hyatt Regency walkway in Kansas City in 1981 and the failure of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in 1940. In both cases, the materials used did not behave as expected, leading to catastrophic failures.

3. What factors can contribute to the problem with the rubber and metal ball analogy?

There are many factors that can contribute to the problem with the rubber and metal ball analogy. Some of these include material defects, improper design or manufacturing, and external forces such as temperature and humidity. Other factors can include the age and condition of the materials and the level of stress placed on them.

4. How can the problem with the rubber and metal ball analogy be addressed?

To address the problem with the rubber and metal ball analogy, it is important to thoroughly test and analyze the materials being used. This can include conducting stress tests and identifying any potential weaknesses or defects. Additionally, proper design and manufacturing processes should be followed to ensure the materials are able to withstand the expected levels of stress and strain.

5. What are some potential consequences of ignoring the problem with the rubber and metal ball analogy?

Ignoring the problem with the rubber and metal ball analogy can have serious consequences, such as structural failures, injuries, and even loss of life. It can also lead to expensive repairs and damage to property. It is important for scientists and engineers to understand and address this problem to ensure the safety and reliability of materials used in various applications.