Charged metal ball wrapped in rubber or other insulator

In summary, a metal electric conducting ball the size of an average snowball with a charge of 0.1 Coulombs will not discharge unless it is connected to a conductor or touched by something else. If it is wrapped in an electrical insulator and set on a wooden table, it may discharge naturally through the air after a long time. In a vacuum environment, the charged ball will not discharge unless there is something external that allows the charge to dissipate or be cancelled. However, there are many external factors that can influence the ball, so the duration of the charge is uncertain.
PhDnotForMe
If I have a metal electric conducting ball the size of an average snowball (Happy Holidays) and give it a charge of say 0.1 Coulombs and set it on a wooden table, will it ever discharge if not touched by anything else? If so, if it is wrapped in an electrical insulator, will it ever discharge within in the same scenario? If so, if the ball was hovering in a vacuum environment will it ever discharge?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It will not discharge unless it is touched by a conductor connected to ground. Otherwise, the charges within the material that the ball is adjacent to will be drawn to the surface closest to the ball.

Likes PhDnotForMe
So charged metal ball touching a wooden table will never discharge? Even after a long time like a year?

If you mean never as in forever, that is an exaggeration. In theory, it should not. Although, I would be somewhat confident that it would discharge naturally through the air, rather than the wood, after a long time.

Likes PhDnotForMe
osilmag said:
If you mean never as in forever, that is an exaggeration. In theory, it should not. Although, I would be somewhat confident that it would discharge naturally through the air, rather than the wood, after a long time.
I see. What if the ball was floating in a vacuum? Would it ever discharge? Can electrons jump within a vacuum or would that require an absurdly high amount of charge

PhDnotForMe said:
So charged metal ball touching a wooden table will never discharge? Even after a long time like a year?
Presumably there will be ions in the ambient air. What do you think might happen?
PhDnotForMe said:
I see. What if the ball was floating in a vacuum? Would it ever discharge? Can electrons jump within a vacuum or would that require an absurdly high amount of charge
Depends upon what you specify as "vacuum". If it's simply a region of space within our solar system, remember that the solar wind which fills that space has many charged particles.

Likes PhDnotForMe
gneill said:
If it's simply a region of space within our solar system, remember that the solar wind which fills that space has many charged particles.
If it is a man made vacuum on Earth in my living room, will the charged object inside ever discharge?

PhDnotForMe said:
If it is a man made vacuum on Earth in my living room, will the charged object inside ever discharge?
I think that there would be a lot to investigate about how you isolate the charged object. No insulator made of real material is perfect; The existence of gravity means you'll need to support the object somehow. That and cosmic rays will still penetrate any container you can reasonably construct in your living room, so yeah, it'll very much likely discharge given sufficient time.

Likes PhDnotForMe
PhDnotForMe said:
If so, if the ball was hovering in a vacuum environment will it ever discharge?
Unless there is something external that allows the charge to dissipate or be cancelled, the charge will last indefinitely. I think that was your question.

However, there is considerable doubt about that "unless" part. There are many external things to influence the ball both on Earth and in space, and forever is a very long time. That is why the answer is more than a simple yes or no.

Likes PhDnotForMe

1. What is a charged metal ball wrapped in rubber or other insulator?

A charged metal ball wrapped in rubber or other insulator is a type of object used in experiments to demonstrate the principles of electrostatics. It consists of a metal ball that has been given a positive or negative charge and is then covered in a layer of rubber or other insulating material to prevent the charge from escaping.

2. How does a charged metal ball wrapped in rubber or other insulator work?

When a metal ball is charged, it creates an electric field around it. The insulating material prevents the charges from escaping and keeps the electric field contained. This allows for the study of electric fields and their effects without interference from outside sources.

3. What are some common uses for a charged metal ball wrapped in rubber or other insulator?

Charged metal balls wrapped in rubber or other insulators are commonly used in experiments to demonstrate the principles of electrostatics and electric fields. They can also be used in demonstrations of lightning and in high voltage experiments.

4. How is a charged metal ball wrapped in rubber or other insulator created?

A charged metal ball wrapped in rubber or other insulator is created by using a device called an electrostatic generator. This device creates a high voltage charge that is transferred to the metal ball, and then the ball is covered in the insulating material.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a charged metal ball wrapped in rubber or other insulator?

Yes, it is important to handle a charged metal ball wrapped in rubber or other insulator with caution. The high voltage charge can be dangerous and can cause electric shocks. It is important to follow safety guidelines and use protective equipment when working with these objects.