1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with set of inside proofs

1. Mar 27, 2013 #1
    I have a problem. Here is the task. Need to prove all these claims:
    6gle7n.jpg

I was able to prove only one and half of them.

b) Let A[itex]\subset[/itex]B and x [itex]\in[/itex] A°. It mean that there is ε>0 that Oε(x)[itex]\subset[/itex]A. And it mean that Oε(x)[itex]\subset[/itex]A[itex]\subset[/itex]B. And that mean that x[itex]\in[/itex]B, what I need to prove.

c) (A°)°[itex]\subset[/itex]A° it follows from a. if i could prove that :D
    How to prove A°[itex]\subset[/itex] (A°)° i dont know. tried to apply definition but nothing goes on.

Can you give me some advise which way i need to go?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2013 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Part (a) says that the set of interior points of a set is a subset of the original set. This one really shouldn't be too difficult.

Suppose ##x \in A°##. You want to somehow show that ##x \in A##. Think about delta neighborhoods around x.

4. Mar 27, 2013 #3
    Yeah. a) i proved but wasnt sure if it correct. but second part of c, d and e are to difficult. I have no idea from what need to start

5. Mar 27, 2013 #4
    And also i want you ask very similar question. I think i proved this, but want to know if it correct or not.

The task: Need to prove that open rectangle ([a,b]):={x[itex]\in[/itex]R^d: a<x<b}=(a1,b1)x...x(ad,bd) is open set.
    I think i can prove that every interval of this set is open and that means that all set is open? Correct? :) if that is true so all that intervals R\(a1,b1) ... R\(ad,bd) is closed. And according to one theorem which i found in my teacher book it mean that intervals (a1,b1), (a2,b2)... (ad,bd) are open.

Do you think this way of thinking is correct or not? :) Thanks!

6. Mar 27, 2013 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you know the characterization that ##A^\circ## is the union of all open sets contained in ##A##? Equivalently, it is the largest open subset of ##A## (in the sense of containment). This will easily allow you to conclude (a) and (b).

Another useful fact which follows from this is that ##A = A^\circ## if and only if ##A## is open. This immediately gives you (c).

7. Mar 27, 2013 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I believe it would be informative if we knew what class this was for; so we know what information you may have access to.

8. Mar 27, 2013 #7

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is certainly true that each ##(a_k, b_k)## is an open subset of ##\mathbb{R}^1##, but you will have to do more work if you want to show that ##(a_1, b_1) \times \ldots \times (a_d, b_d)## is an open subset of ##\mathbb{R}^d##.

Here is a hint to get you started. Choose an arbitrary element ##x = (x_1, \ldots, x_d) \in (a_1, b_1) \times \ldots \times (a_d, b_d)##. You need to show that ##x## is an interior point. That means you have to find a ##\delta## such that the open ball centered at ##x## with radius ##\delta## is contained in ##(a_1, b_1) \times \ldots \times (a_d, b_d)##. To find such a ##\delta##, use the fact that ##x_k## is an interior point of ##(a_k, b_k)## for each ##k##.

9. Mar 27, 2013 #8
    Thanks once more:)

10. Mar 27, 2013 #9
    Dont know how well I understand your hint. so now ill write the ending of proof :) if something is wrong please tell me.
    We know that x1 is (a1,b1) interior point. so there is ε1>0 that ||a1-b1||<ε1
    there is εd>0 that ||ad-bd||<εd

let [itex]\delta[/itex]= min{[itex]\epsilon1[/itex], [itex]\epsilon2[/itex],...[itex]\epsilon d[/itex]}
    And that mean that open ball with radius [itex]\delta[/itex] contained in (a1,b1)x...x(ad,bd)

correct? :)

11. Mar 27, 2013 #10

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is true, but why? If you take an arbitrary point ##y## in the same open ball (i.e. such that ##\|x - y\| < \delta##), can you show that ##y \in (a_1,b_1)\times \ldots \times (a_d,b_d)##?

12. Mar 27, 2013 #11
    Oh. I made a mistake.

all the same but ε1>0 and |(|a1-b1|)-x1|<ε1
    εd>0 and |(|ad-bd|)-xd|<εd

let [itex]\delta[/itex]= min{[itex]\epsilon1[/itex], [itex]\epsilon2[/itex],...[itex]\epsilon d[/itex]}

And that mean that open ball with radius [itex]\delta[/itex] contained in (a1,b1)x...x(ad,bd)

now is good?

13. Mar 27, 2013 #12

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think these inequalities are still wrong. For each ##k##, you want both of the following to be true:
    $$a_k < x_k - \epsilon_k$$
    $$x_k + \epsilon_k < b_k$$
    You can achieve this by choosing ##0 < \epsilon_k < \min(x_k - a_k, b_k - x_k)##.

14. Mar 27, 2013 #13
    yes. my bad once more. If [itex]\epsilon[/itex] will be a little less than ##\min(| x_k - a_k |,| b_k - x_k |)## so all that would be correct when [itex]\delta[/itex] equal to [itex]\epsilon[/itex]

15. Mar 27, 2013 #14

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assuming you take the minimum over all ##k## (i.e., ##\delta_k = \min(|x_k - a_k|, |b_k - x_k|)##, and ##\delta = \min_k \delta_k##), it will work, but you still have to prove that.

16. Mar 27, 2013 #15
    how to do that? i think if we found ##\delta## when all is good.

I dont know or my reasoning is good but i think that, when we found a ##\delta## as you described when for every x will be neighbourhood which will be subset of our first set. And that mean that every x is interior point of first set.

if that not enough i give up. Dont know how this prove...

17. Mar 27, 2013 #16
    i want to add that ## ||x-a||##>##\delta## and also ## ||x-b||##>##\delta## so from here i draw conclusion in my previous post.Its good? Please someone help me!!! :))))

18. Mar 27, 2013 #17

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If ##B_\delta(x)## is the open ball of radius ##\delta## centered at ##x##, and ##y = (y_1,\ldots,y_d)## is any point in ##B_\delta(x)##, then you need to show that ##y \in (a_1, b_1) \times \ldots \times (a_d, b_d)##. In order to do this, you must show that ##a_k < y_k < b_k## for all ##k##.

So suppose ##y \in B_\delta(x)##. By definition, that means that the distance between ##x## and ##y## is less than ##\delta##, so
    $$\sqrt{(y_1 - x_1)^2 + \ldots + (y_d - x_d)^2} < \delta$$
    You have to prove that this inequality implies that ##a_k < y_k < b_k## for all ##k##. You will of course have to make use of the way we defined ##\delta##, namely ##\delta_k = \min(|x_k - a_k|, |b_k - x_k|)##, and ##\delta = \min_k \delta_k##.

19. Mar 27, 2013 #18
    ok. thank you jbunnii!!! tomorow i rethinking all what you say because my brain now is not capable to think :) need some rest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted