Problem with set of inside proofs

• Thread starter trenekas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs Set
In summary: Can you give me some advise which way i need to go?In summary, the conversation is about proving a series of claims, with the speaker seeking advice on how to approach the problem. They have been able to prove one and a half of the claims, but are struggling with the rest. The conversation includes discussions on open sets and interior points, with the speaker asking for help on proving that an open rectangle is an open set. The expert summarizer offers helpful hints and suggestions for how to approach the problem.
trenekas
I have a problem. Here is the task. Need to prove all these claims:
6gle7n.jpg

I was able to prove only one and half of them.

b) Let A[itex]\subset[/itex]B and x [itex]\in[/itex] A°. It mean that there is ε>0 that Oε(x)[itex]\subset[/itex]A. And it mean that Oε(x)[itex]\subset[/itex]A[itex]\subset[/itex]B. And that mean that x[itex]\in[/itex]B, what I need to prove.

c) (A°)°[itex]\subset[/itex]A° it follows from a. if i could prove that :D
How to prove A°[itex]\subset[/itex] (A°)° i don't know. tried to apply definition but nothing goes on.

Can you give me some advise which way i need to go?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
trenekas said:
6gle7n.jpg

b) Let A[itex]\subset[/itex]B and x [itex]\in[/itex] A°. It mean that there is ε>0 that Oε(x)[itex]\subset[/itex]A. And it mean that Oε(x)[itex]\subset[/itex]A[itex]\subset[/itex]B. And that mean that x[itex]\in[/itex]B, what I need to prove.

How to prove A°[itex]\subset[/itex] (A°)° i don't know. tried to apply definition but nothing goes on.

Part (a) says that the set of interior points of a set is a subset of the original set. This one really shouldn't be too difficult.

Suppose ##x \in A°##. You want to somehow show that ##x \in A##. Think about delta neighborhoods around x.

Yeah. a) i proved but wasnt sure if it correct. but second part of c, d and e are to difficult. I have no idea from what need to start

And also i want you ask very similar question. I think i proved this, but want to know if it correct or not.

The task: Need to prove that open rectangle ([a,b]):={x[itex]\in[/itex]R^d: a<x<b}=(a1,b1)x...x(ad,bd) is open set.
I think i can prove that every interval of this set is open and that means that all set is open? Correct? :) if that is true so all that intervals R\(a1,b1) ... R\(ad,bd) is closed. And according to one theorem which i found in my teacher book it mean that intervals (a1,b1), (a2,b2)... (ad,bd) are open.

Do you think this way of thinking is correct or not? :) Thanks!

trenekas said:
6gle7n.jpg

Do you know the characterization that ##A^\circ## is the union of all open sets contained in ##A##? Equivalently, it is the largest open subset of ##A## (in the sense of containment). This will easily allow you to conclude (a) and (b).

Another useful fact which follows from this is that ##A = A^\circ## if and only if ##A## is open. This immediately gives you (c).

I believe it would be informative if we knew what class this was for; so we know what information you may have access to.

trenekas said:
And also i want you ask very similar question. I think i proved this, but want to know if it correct or not.

The task: Need to prove that open rectangle ([a,b]):={x[itex]\in[/itex]R^d: a<x<b}=(a1,b1)x...x(ad,bd) is open set.
I think i can prove that every interval of this set is open and that means that all set is open? Correct? :) if that is true so all that intervals R\(a1,b1) ... R\(ad,bd) is closed. And according to one theorem which i found in my teacher book it mean that intervals (a1,b1), (a2,b2)... (ad,bd) are open.

Do you think this way of thinking is correct or not? :) Thanks!
It is certainly true that each ##(a_k, b_k)## is an open subset of ##\mathbb{R}^1##, but you will have to do more work if you want to show that ##(a_1, b_1) \times \ldots \times (a_d, b_d)## is an open subset of ##\mathbb{R}^d##.

Here is a hint to get you started. Choose an arbitrary element ##x = (x_1, \ldots, x_d) \in (a_1, b_1) \times \ldots \times (a_d, b_d)##. You need to show that ##x## is an interior point. That means you have to find a ##\delta## such that the open ball centered at ##x## with radius ##\delta## is contained in ##(a_1, b_1) \times \ldots \times (a_d, b_d)##. To find such a ##\delta##, use the fact that ##x_k## is an interior point of ##(a_k, b_k)## for each ##k##.

Thanks once more:)

Dont know how well I understand your hint. so now ill write the ending of proof :) if something is wrong please tell me.
We know that x1 is (a1,b1) interior point. so there is ε1>0 that ||a1-b1||<ε1
there is εd>0 that ||ad-bd||<εd

let [itex]\delta[/itex]= min{[itex]\epsilon1[/itex], [itex]\epsilon2[/itex],...[itex]\epsilon d[/itex]}
And that mean that open ball with radius [itex]\delta[/itex] contained in (a1,b1)x...x(ad,bd)

correct? :)

Last edited:
trenekas said:
Dont know how well I understand your hint. so now ill write the ending of proof :) if something is wrong please tell me.
We know that x1 is (a1,b1) interior point. so there is ε1>0 that ||a1-b1||<ε1
there is εd>0 that ||ad-bd||<εd

let [itex]\delta[/itex]= min{[itex]\epsilon1[/itex], [itex]\epsilon2[/itex],...[itex]\epsilon d[/itex]}
And that mean that open ball with radius [itex]\delta[/itex] contained in (a1,b1)x...x(ad,bd)
It is true, but why? If you take an arbitrary point ##y## in the same open ball (i.e. such that ##\|x - y\| < \delta##), can you show that ##y \in (a_1,b_1)\times \ldots \times (a_d,b_d)##?

Oh. I made a mistake.

all the same but ε1>0 and |(|a1-b1|)-x1|<ε1
εd>0 and |(|ad-bd|)-xd|<εd

now is good?

Last edited:
trenekas said:
Oh. I made a mistake.

all the same but ε1>0 and |(|a1-b1|)-x1|<ε1
εd>0 and |(|ad-bd|)-xd|<εd
I think these inequalities are still wrong. For each ##k##, you want both of the following to be true:
$$a_k < x_k - \epsilon_k$$
$$x_k + \epsilon_k < b_k$$
You can achieve this by choosing ##0 < \epsilon_k < \min(x_k - a_k, b_k - x_k)##.

jbunniii said:
I think these inequalities are still wrong. For each ##k##, you want both of the following to be true:
$$a_k < x_k - \epsilon_k$$
$$x_k + \epsilon_k < b_k$$
You can achieve this by choosing ##0 < \epsilon_k < \min(x_k - a_k, b_k - x_k)##.

yes. my bad once more. If [itex]\epsilon[/itex] will be a little less than ##\min(| x_k - a_k |,| b_k - x_k |)## so all that would be correct when [itex]\delta[/itex] equal to [itex]\epsilon[/itex]

Last edited:
trenekas said:
yes. my bad once more. so if [itex]\delta[/itex] will be ##\min(| x_k - a_k |,| b_k - x_k |)## so all that would be correct?
Assuming you take the minimum over all ##k## (i.e., ##\delta_k = \min(|x_k - a_k|, |b_k - x_k|)##, and ##\delta = \min_k \delta_k##), it will work, but you still have to prove that.

jbunniii said:
Assuming you take the minimum over all ##k## (i.e., ##\delta_k = \min(|x_k - a_k|, |b_k - x_k|)##, and ##\delta = \min_k \delta_k##), it will work, but you still have to prove that.

how to do that? i think if we found ##\delta## when all is good.

I don't know or my reasoning is good but i think that, when we found a ##\delta## as you described when for every x will be neighbourhood which will be subset of our first set. And that mean that every x is interior point of first set.

if that not enough i give up. Dont know how this prove...

Last edited:
i want to add that ## ||x-a||##>##\delta## and also ## ||x-b||##>##\delta## so from here i draw conclusion in my previous post.Its good? Please someone help me! :))))

trenekas said:
how to do that? i think if we found ##\delta## when all is good.
If ##B_\delta(x)## is the open ball of radius ##\delta## centered at ##x##, and ##y = (y_1,\ldots,y_d)## is any point in ##B_\delta(x)##, then you need to show that ##y \in (a_1, b_1) \times \ldots \times (a_d, b_d)##. In order to do this, you must show that ##a_k < y_k < b_k## for all ##k##.

So suppose ##y \in B_\delta(x)##. By definition, that means that the distance between ##x## and ##y## is less than ##\delta##, so
$$\sqrt{(y_1 - x_1)^2 + \ldots + (y_d - x_d)^2} < \delta$$
You have to prove that this inequality implies that ##a_k < y_k < b_k## for all ##k##. You will of course have to make use of the way we defined ##\delta##, namely ##\delta_k = \min(|x_k - a_k|, |b_k - x_k|)##, and ##\delta = \min_k \delta_k##.

ok. thank you jbunnii! tomorow i rethinking all what you say because my brain now is not capable to think :) need some rest.

1. What is a "problem with set of inside proofs"?

A "problem with set of inside proofs" refers to a situation where a set of evidence or data collected to support a hypothesis or theory is found to be insufficient, inconsistent, or contradictory. This can lead to challenges in drawing conclusions or making decisions based on the available evidence.

2. How can a "problem with set of inside proofs" be identified?

A "problem with set of inside proofs" can be identified through careful analysis and review of the evidence. This may involve looking for patterns, inconsistencies, or gaps in the data, as well as considering alternative explanations for the observed results.

3. What are some potential causes of a "problem with set of inside proofs"?

There are several potential causes of a "problem with set of inside proofs." These may include errors in data collection or analysis, biases in the selection of evidence, or limitations in the methods used to collect the data.

4. How can a "problem with set of inside proofs" be addressed?

A "problem with set of inside proofs" can be addressed by revisiting the research methods and data collection techniques used and making necessary adjustments. Additionally, seeking out additional evidence or conducting further experiments can help to strengthen the overall support for a hypothesis or theory.

5. What are the implications of a "problem with set of inside proofs" for the scientific community?

A "problem with set of inside proofs" has significant implications for the scientific community, as it can call into question the validity of previous research findings and potentially delay the advancement of knowledge in a particular field. It emphasizes the importance of rigorous and thorough research methods and the need for continuous evaluation and improvement in scientific practices.