Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with ubuntu 6.1 installation

1. Jan 19, 2009 #1
    I tried to install ubuntu 6.1 (I know it's old) a few days ago. When I tried to install it a message came up saying "Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly."

Then I have the option to view the X server and diagnose the problem. When I say yes to diagnose the problem at the bottom of the screen it says
    "(EE) No devices detected
    Fatal server error:
    no screens found"

How do I fix this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have a graphics card that it cannot detect (or more likely detected wrongly).
    During the first installation screen there shoudl be an option for something like "VGA mode" - this will do the install in low res 640x480 mode which ought to work with anything. You can then improve the resolution after it is installed.

Another alternative is select "text-mode install" and then let it find and configure you graphics card during the installation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?