1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with understanding the definition of magnetic flux.

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Probably a silly question, but I can't figure it out.

Why is magnetic flux defined as magnetic field strength per unit area if it is found by multiplying the strength of magnetic field B by area A rather than dividing by area A?

Thanks for any responses :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2
    I think you have your terms confused. You know that a magnetic field can be represented by lines of force?
    The closer the lines are the stronger the force and therefor a 'sensible' unit for magnetic FIELD STRENGTH would be 'lines per square metre'
    Historically 'lines' were called Webers and therefore magnetic field strength can be given as Webers per square metre. 1 Weber per square metre is now called 1 Tesla so magnetic field strength is given in Tesla.
    Magnetic field strength is also known as 'magnetic flux density' and the symbol is B.
    Magnetic FLUX is flux density x Area and is given in Webers
    Flux = B x A
    Hope this helps ............. The units in magnetism are not very user friendly

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  4. Jan 25, 2012 #3
    I understand now, thanks for help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook