Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Problem with understanding the definition of magnetic flux.

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Probably a silly question, but I can't figure it out.

Why is magnetic flux defined as magnetic field strength per unit area if it is found by multiplying the strength of magnetic field B by area A rather than dividing by area A?

Thanks for any responses :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2
    I think you have your terms confused. You know that a magnetic field can be represented by lines of force?
    The closer the lines are the stronger the force and therefor a 'sensible' unit for magnetic FIELD STRENGTH would be 'lines per square metre'
    Historically 'lines' were called Webers and therefore magnetic field strength can be given as Webers per square metre. 1 Weber per square metre is now called 1 Tesla so magnetic field strength is given in Tesla.
    Magnetic field strength is also known as 'magnetic flux density' and the symbol is B.
    Magnetic FLUX is flux density x Area and is given in Webers
    Flux = B x A
    Hope this helps ............. The units in magnetism are not very user friendly

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  4. Jan 25, 2012 #3
    I understand now, thanks for help!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook