1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with vector field proof

1. Aug 15, 2012 #1
    Suppose that F and G are vector fields and that F-G = ▽μ for some real-valued function μ(x,y). Prove that

∫ F.dx = ∫ G.dx for all piecewise smooth curves C in the xy-plane

I just need some help in getting started really. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If ##dx## is a scalar, what does ##\vec F \cdot dx## mean? Have you stated the problem correctly? Is C a closed curve?

4. Aug 15, 2012 #3
    Thanks LCKurtz,

F.dx is the line integral of the vector field and yes C is closed.

5. Aug 15, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's unusual notation. And since it matters that C is closed, don't you think it would have been good to mention that?

Let's call ##\vec H = \vec F -\vec G##. So say ##\vec H = \langle h_1,h_2\rangle## and you are talking about$$
    \oint_C \vec H \cdot d\vec r =\oint_C h_1\, dx + h_2\, dy$$So now if you use ##\vec H(x,y) =\nabla \mu(x,y)## what happens?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  6. Aug 20, 2012 #5
    Hi im doing a similar problem so sooner than start a new thread...
    [itex] \oint_C \vec H \cdot d\vec r =\oint_C \frac{dμ}{dx}\, dx + \frac{dμ}{dy}\, dy [/itex]?

7. Aug 20, 2012 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Now do you see how to argue that it is zero?

8. Aug 20, 2012 #7
    No. in a word.
    I thought i might be able to work something out using greens theorem(as the curve is closed) but its not working out...

9. Aug 20, 2012 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Green's theorem is what you want. What do you get and why don't you think it works?

[Edit]I have to go for a couple of hours. I'll check back and see if you have it by then.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  10. Aug 20, 2012 #9
    [itex] \oint_C \vec H \cdot d\vec r =\oint_C \frac{dμ}{dx}\, dx + \frac{dμ}{dy}\, dy [/itex] = [itex]\int\int\frac{d^2μ}{dxdy}-\frac{d^2μ}{dxdy} dxdy = 0 [/itex] but this can only be true if [itex]\oint F.dr = \oint G.dr [/itex] qed?

11. Aug 20, 2012 #10

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. It would be more clear if the left side had started with$$
    \oint_C \vec F\cdot d\vec R -\oint_C\vec G\cdot d\vec R =\oint_C (\vec F-\vec G)\cdot d\vec R=\oint_C\vec H\cdot d\vec R =\ ...$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook