Problem With Work Done by a Spring Force

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a spring attached to a block and a wall. The spring has no mass and the block is on a frictionless surface. The equilibrium point is at x = 0 cm and a force of 80N is required to hold the block stationary at x = -2 cm. When the block is moved from this position, 4J of work is done on the spring-block system and the block returns to a stationary position. The conversation discusses finding the block's final position, with a solution of +- 0.04899m being reached after adjusting for significant digits.
Senrai

Homework Statement

One end of a spring is attached to a block and the other is attached to a wall. The spring has no mass and the block lies atop a frictionless surface. The equilibrium point of the system is at x = 0 cm. A force of 80N must be applied to the block to hold it stationary at x = -2 cm. From this position, the block is slowly moved until the applied force has done 4J of work on the spring-block system; the block is then again stationary. What is the block's position? (There are two answers.)

Homework Equations

-Fspring = Fapplied
Fspring = -kx
-Wspring = Fapplied
Wspring = 0.5k(x12 - x22)

The Attempt at a Solution

I first solved to get the spring's spring constant, k.
-Fspring = Fapplied
-Fspring = 80N
Fspring = -80N

Fspring = -kx
-80N = -k(-0.02m)
-80N/-(-0.02m) = k
-4000N/m = k
I don't think there can be negative spring constants, so I changed this to 4000N/m.

I then solved to get the block's final position.
-Wspring = Fapplied
-Wspring = 4J
Wspring = -4J

Wspring = 0.5k(x12 - x22)
-4J = 0.5(4000N/m)((-0.02m)2 - x22)

When I worked that equation out, I came up with a final position of +- 0.04899m, which was incorrect.
I've been at this for hours and can't solve it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Senrai,

I don't see anything wrong with your work. Maybe someone else can see something that I don't.

I got this answer as well.

heth said:
I got this answer as well.

Though there may be an issue with the number of significant digits in your answer. 4 SD for your answer is a lot for a problem where all the values and given to 1 or 2 SD.

I don't know if you have some kind of automated answer system or how they're programmed, but it could be rejecting the answer because of this.

Thanks all. It must have been a problem with the program I was inputting the answer into. I did round off to the proper amount of significant digits when inputting the final answer into the program. After several more tries of doing the problem exactly like that, it's finally accepted the answer as correct. Thanks for your help.

1. What is a spring force?

A spring force is a type of force that occurs when a spring is stretched or compressed. It is caused by the elasticity of the spring and is always directed in the opposite direction of the displacement of the spring.

2. What is the equation for work done by a spring force?

The equation for work done by a spring force is W = 1/2kx^2, where W is the work done, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring.

3. How does the work done by a spring force change with respect to displacement?

The work done by a spring force is directly proportional to the square of the displacement. This means that as the displacement increases, the work done also increases.

4. What is the relationship between the work done by a spring force and the potential energy of the spring?

The work done by a spring force is equal to the change in potential energy of the spring. This means that when work is done on the spring, its potential energy increases and vice versa.

5. How does the mass of an object affect the work done by a spring force?

The mass of an object does not affect the work done by a spring force. This is because the equation for work done by a spring force only depends on the displacement and spring constant, not the mass of the object.