Problems in the modern semiconductor/electronics technology?

• Thread starter naggy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Technology
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of quantum tunnelling and heat in modern semiconductors and electronics due to the small size of devices. The main questions revolve around the progress made in addressing these issues, the potential for further miniaturization of devices, and the research being done in quantum mechanics and solid state physics to improve computing power while using less energy and space. The speaker mentions that while advancements have been made, the high costs involved make it impractical to invest in this technology immediately.
naggy
Since I am asking about research in QM/Solid State Physics, I thought it would be appropriate to put this question here. I will not be offended if it will be moved to the EE forum

From what I have read, the problem with modern semiconductors/electronics seems to be quantum tunnelling and heat. The root of these problems is the size of the devices. The electrons are leaking out, and currents are causing active materials to melt.

How far have we become in this regard? Can we make our devices even smaller? What is being done to maintain advancements in computing power? What is the main research, particularly in quantum mechanics and in solid state physics, being done to compute faster using less energy and space?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am going to bump this.

I cannot give you exact details. But we have advanced pretty far in the technology (however with ever increasing costs). Thus its just kind of unreasonable to invest in this immediately.

1. What are the main challenges facing the modern semiconductor/electronics technology?

The main challenges facing the modern semiconductor/electronics technology include the miniaturization of components, increasing power demands, and the development of new materials and manufacturing processes. Other challenges include maintaining reliability and stability in devices, reducing energy consumption, and addressing the limitations of Moore's Law.

2. How are scientists and engineers addressing these challenges?

Scientists and engineers are constantly researching and developing new materials, processes, and designs to address the challenges facing modern semiconductor/electronics technology. This includes exploring alternative materials such as graphene and carbon nanotubes, developing new manufacturing techniques such as 3D printing, and implementing new design strategies to improve efficiency and performance.

3. What is the impact of problems in modern semiconductor/electronics technology on other industries?

The modern semiconductor/electronics technology is integral to many industries, including telecommunications, healthcare, transportation, and entertainment. Any problems or limitations in this technology can have a significant impact on these industries, affecting the performance and functionality of devices and potentially hindering innovation and progress in these fields.

4. How do advancements in modern semiconductor/electronics technology benefit society?

Advancements in modern semiconductor/electronics technology have greatly improved our daily lives, making our devices smaller, faster, and more efficient. This technology has also enabled the development of new technologies such as artificial intelligence, virtual reality, and renewable energy sources. It has also played a crucial role in improving communication, healthcare, and transportation systems.

5. What are the future prospects for modern semiconductor/electronics technology?

The future prospects for modern semiconductor/electronics technology are promising, with ongoing research and development focusing on overcoming current challenges and pushing the boundaries of what is possible. This includes the development of new materials and technologies, as well as exploring new applications for semiconductor/electronics technology in fields such as quantum computing, biotechnology, and space exploration.