How to get into the semiconductor industry

Hi friends,

I'm a brazilian Electronics Engineering undergrad student, going to graduate in 3 semesters. I'm also in the first semester of my Masters in Atomic and Molecular Physics, focused on ab initio simulation of semiconductor crystals (VASP).

My main interest is to work in industry in the field of semiconductors, CMOS technologies, and quantum technologies in general (and preferably in Europe). But as my research is on computational physics, I feel that the lack of laboratory experience will drag me down or even make me ineligible for such positions.

Is laboratory experience needed before joining the workforce, or will employers give me the necessary training? How hard is to get into this area? Is computational physics valuable in the industry?

Thank you all :) any advice/story is welcome

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Is laboratory experience needed before joining the workforce
@analogdesign can add to the responses :smile:

Does your school have a basic IC fab as part of its lab facilities? If not, is there an IC fab nearby that you have access to for projects?

What simulation software (other than VASP) have you learned and used for your projects in school?

https://www.vasp.at/

Hey berkeman, thanks for the reply

In my masters I'm exclusively using VASP to simulate III-V alloys and python to develop pre and post-processing tools. In my bachelor degree I use SPICE for circuit simulation and MATLAB for control/ telecommunications/ general purpose programming.

Sadly my school doesnt have an IC fab, but it seems that I can request access and training at a lab in a close city. I could even look for training in other countries if needed though o0)

Likes berkeman
analogdesign
Science Advisor
Since you want to work in a research lab setting, your best best (maybe your only bet) is to get to where they are. I would highly recommend you consider a PhD program in semiconductor devices. Since you have some experience in III-V technology, if you are interested in continuing that you could consider a school in the US such as UC Santa Barbara (which specializes in that). Many other US and European schools can get you the experience and education you need to be competitive in the job market in various semiconductor and materials specialties.

It is very difficult (at least in the US) to get a job at an entry level if you're not already authorized to work here. This is because it is hard to make the argument that a visa is appropriate for someone who doesn't have skills that aren't readily available domestically. It is much, much easier to get semiconductor employment in the US if you're coming out of a US graduate school (Europe or Asia is also possible but more difficult).

Likes berkeman