1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems Integrating an Infinite Series From E&M

1. Jul 20, 2011 #1
    Hi, guys. For an E&M/quantum mechanics problem I have to integrate the series below:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Integrate

[itex]\int{r^{2}e^{y r} \, dr}.[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution

Using integration by parts and and "differentiating under the integral" give the same answer:

[itex] I= \frac{2 e^{yr}}{y^{3}}-\frac{2 r e^{yr}}{y^{2}}+\frac{r^{2} e^{yr}}{y} + C [/itex],

where I is the solution to the integral and C is an arbitrary constant. I'd read about Newton trying to integrate infinite series, so I thought as a check and out of curiosity I'd express the integrand as an infinite series and integrate each term. Specifically I expressed exp(yr) as a Maclauren series, multiplied each term by the [itex]r^{2}[/itex] and used the "power rule" to get

[itex]I=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} {\frac{y^{n} r^{(n+2)}}{n! \, (n+3)}}. [/itex]

I can't see how this series could represent the other answer I found. Moreover, I've never seen this done before and I don't know to look up this kind of information. (Googling "Infinite Series and Integrals" was not helpful ><). Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2011 #2

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

I wonder if you did it right, if you set r=0 then you should get the answer y^-3, but looking at the series, I don't think you do.

4. Jul 21, 2011 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is a mistake, the power of r has to be n+3. And you need to add a constant to the power series integral, too. Replace exp(yr) in the first integral by its power series. Supposed you are in the range of convergence, the power-series solution is equivalent to the first integral if you match the constants. Find the coefficients of r, r2, r3 and so on and compare them.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook