Problems with electromagnetic fields inside matter

In summary, the author is struggling with understanding the right side of the first equation for fields inside matter. They think it should be I, but the book says it is I multiplied by the ratio of the area of the loop to the total area of the wire. This is because the loop is inside the wire and only captures a fraction of the total current. Outside the wire, the total current can be obtained by setting s=R.
valleo4

Homework Statement

see attachment/picture
im having problems with fields inside matter. i get the left side of gaussian surfaces/ampere loops. but for example this first equation's right side i can't understand.

The Attempt at a Solution

i would think the right side should be
[itex]I[/itex]
since its the total enclosed current by my ampere loop

but the book says
[itex]I\frac{\pi s^2}{\pi R^2}[/itex]
it has something to do with the dependence of the current enclosed and the distance, which you don't have outside the cylinder. but i can't figure it out. can someone explain?

Homework Statement

Attachments

• fieldinsidematter.png
    fieldinsidematter.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
It says [itex]s\leq R[/itex]. The loop that you draw is inside the wire, so you get a fraction of the total current. That fraction being the fraction of area of your loop compared to the total area of the wire. Outside the wire, you would just set [itex]s=R[/itex] and get back the total current you were talking about.

1. What are electromagnetic fields and how do they affect matter?

Electromagnetic fields are a type of energy that is created by the movement of electrical charges. They can affect matter by exerting forces on charged particles, causing them to move or vibrate.

2. What are some common problems associated with electromagnetic fields inside matter?

Some common problems include interference with electronic devices, induced currents in conductive materials, and potential health risks from exposure to high levels of electromagnetic radiation.

3. How do electromagnetic fields interact with different types of matter?

The interaction between electromagnetic fields and matter depends on the properties of the material. Different materials, such as metals, insulators, and biological tissues, will respond differently to the presence of electromagnetic fields.

4. Can electromagnetic fields be shielded or blocked?

Yes, certain materials and designs can be used to shield or block electromagnetic fields. For example, metal can act as a shield by reflecting and absorbing electromagnetic radiation.

5. What are some ways to mitigate problems with electromagnetic fields inside matter?

Some ways to mitigate problems include using shielding materials, minimizing exposure to high levels of electromagnetic radiation, and following safety guidelines and regulations for electronic devices and equipment.