Problems with finding moment of inertia of triangle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
knight92
Messages
100
Reaction score
0
Hi guys I am trying to find the moment of inertia of a thin triangle sheet as shown in the attached file, I couldn't so I looked at the solution and it said that x1 = ay/h and x2 = by/h. That is the only part I don't get, it seems to be some sort of ratio but I can't work out how or why its like that. Can anyone help please ?
 
Attachments
  • Src1.jpeg
    Src1.jpeg
    5.1 KB · Views: 590
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to look carefully. You will see that there are that each big triangle on the left and right side have bases a and b respectively. Now there two other smaller triangles on the left and right side with bases x1 and x2. The triangle with base x1 has a height y and is similar to the big triangle with base a and a height h. If u use the ratio of similar triangles you get x1/y=a/h which gives x1= ay/h. This method also applies to the right handside to give x2= by/h. I hope you get it now.
 
xandro101 said:
You have to look carefully. You will see that there are that each big triangle on the left and right side have bases a and b respectively. Now there two other smaller triangles on the left and right side with bases x1 and x2. The triangle with base x1 has a height y and is similar to the big triangle with base a and a height h. If u use the ratio of similar triangles you get x1/y=a/h which gives x1= ay/h. This method also applies to the right handside to give x2= by/h. I hope you get it now.

Yes I get it now. Thanks mate :)