Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems with ground with batteries

1. Feb 22, 2015 #1
    Hiya, I'm a bit of an intermediate in electronics and I am moving into oscillator territory and am thinking more about "ground" rather than "the negative side of the battery". Obviously, using -ve voltage as ground has some setbacks with dc-ac oscillators as current can only flow if there is a true 0v reference point(when the ac signal goes into the -ve phase then the -ve side of a battery is absolutely useless). What can I use as 0v rather than -9v on a battery that'll actually work? Considering that current cannot flow from the -ve side of one battery to the +ve side of another without the oposite polarities being connected, I'm presuming that current also cannot flow from the +v side of one battery and the ground on a mains plug.
    Any help would be great

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2015 #2

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do you believe in Kirchoff's Current Law?

Current only can go back to its source.
    If "Ground" happens to provide a path back there , current might take it. Or it might not, if there's a better path.

The "water" analogy mis-leads almost all beginners because we see water fall from our garden hose to "ground".
    It's gravity causing that, not some magical affinity of water for ground.

Electricity doesn't care a whit about gravity.
    It has no magical affinity for "Ground" (which I prefer to call "Earth" to distinguish from "Circuit Common" aka 'ground' )

I cannot parse that statement.
    Can you slow down and re-phrase it one thought at a time?
    "A question well stated is half answered".

There exists a concept in circuits known as "virtual ground" midway between supply rails.... maybe that's what your are considering? Try a few searches on those words.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook