Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Process to form elements in quantity

1. Oct 22, 2011 #1
    Do macro amounts of elements form when atoms of a certain type (e..g. gold) bond together to form a substantial mass? Or do atoms of mixed types bond together and then together take on the properties we ascribe to each element?

The reason I ask is that it seems improbable to me that a few gold atoms created in some stellar fusion event would travel the universe for billions of years only finding and bonding with other gold atoms until it developed into a pure gold nugget found on the earth. I don't recall hearing of a scientific theory which states that fusion events produce streams of gold nuggets.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2011 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's chemical processes in planets, with a little assist from gravity than does this.

4. Oct 23, 2011 #3
    Can you be a tad more specific? Assuming it is more likely for unlike atoms to encounter each other in space, I'm wondering what forces would cause a pure element to form matter anywhere in the universe, as opposed to only the formnulation of homulugated molecular compunds. Are there forces that drive like atoms to bond together in a greater probability than unlike atoms, which may have similiar chemical valences?

5. Oct 23, 2011 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

A good example of a single element would be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond" [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook