1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalues of transpose linear transformation

1. Apr 3, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If ##A## is an ##n \times n## matrix, show that the eigenvalues of ##T(A) = A^{t}## are ##\lambda = \pm 1##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I assume that a matrix ##M## is an eigenvector of ##T##. So ##T(M) = \lambda M## for some ##\lambda \in \mathbb{R}##. This means that ##M^t = \lambda M##. Then ##\det (M^t) = \det (M)##. So ##\det(M) = \lambda^n \det (M)##. But I can't seem to cancel the determinants since we don't know if ##M## is invertible or not. This is where I get stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

The statement is plain wrong: choose ##A=0## or any diagonal matrix ##diag(\lambda_1,\ldots ,\lambda_n)## with ##\lambda_i## of your choice. And these are only the simple counterexamples. Could it be, that ##A\cdot A^t=1## is the given condition?

4. Apr 3, 2017 #3
    But if ##M^t = \lambda M##, and if ##\lambda = \pm 1##, wouldn't the symmetric and anti-symmetric matrices work?

5. Apr 3, 2017 #4

fresh_42

What does this mean for a vector? A column vector is a multiple of a row vector? This would only mean ##n=1## and ##\lambda (M-1)=0##, i.e. ##\lambda = 0## or ##M=1##. Since the claim is obviously wrong, why bother an attempt to prove it? It cannot be proven. Perhaps I didn't understand your ##T##. To me it looked like ##T : A \longmapsto A^t##.

6. Apr 3, 2017 #5
    I'll write out the problems exactly as it is written: Let ##T## be a linear operator on ##M_{n \times n} (\mathbb{R})## defined by ##T(A) = A^t##. Show that ##\pm 1## are the only eigenvalues of 1.

The problem is from a standard textbook (Friedberg), so I don't think there's anything wrong with the problem

7. Apr 3, 2017 #6

fresh_42

O.k., I thought it is about the eigenvalues of ##A##. My fault, sorry. Then you might look at ##T^2## for the solution.

8. Apr 3, 2017 #7
    That ends up working well. Why doesn't the determinant approach work well? I want to know so that next time I come across a similar problem I won't spend time going own that path

9. Apr 3, 2017 #8

fresh_42

I think I know it now. It's the same thing as my error arose from. ##M## is a vector, and its determinant isn't important. We should only look at the determinant of ##T##, which is clearly a regular mapping with ##\det(T)^2 = 1##. The equation you found isn't wrong, but as you stated correctly, we don't know anything about ##M##, only that ##M \neq 0## which isn't enough, if we pass to the determinant of ##M##. I mean this reduces all ##n^2## information about ##M## to a single number, and more, it distracts from the properties of ##T##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted