Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Product rule in newton notation?

1. Jan 25, 2017 #1
    What is the correct way to write the product rule in newton notation (with the dots above)? It is the LHS I am abit confused with. Eg. Say you have d/dt(xy) would you just put dots above the x and y?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2017 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Use the rule as expected with leibnitz notation and then at the end replace ##dx/dt## with x dot and ##dy/dt## with y dot:

##d(x.y)/dt = dx/dt.y + x.dy/dt = \dot{x}.y + x.\dot{y}##

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_rule

4. Jan 25, 2017 #3

fresh_42

## \stackrel{\cdotp}{(xy)} ## but in this case it would definitely be better to write ##(xy)'## instead.
    ##\stackrel{\cdotp}{x}\stackrel{\cdotp}{y}## would mean ##\frac{d}{dt}x \cdot \frac{d}{dt}y\,.##

5. Jan 25, 2017 #4
    Thanks. Why would (xy)' be better to use than the (xy) with a single dot above? In the equation I am working with I have just used all dots, would it be ok to include a single (xy)' ?

6. Jan 25, 2017 #5

fresh_42

In this case stay with the dots or use the Leibniz notation everywhere. The dot over more than one variable is simply hard to read. E.g. it could be mistaken by a failure in paper, or just be overlooked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted