Proving the product rule using probability

Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I thought this was kind of a cool proof of the product rule.

Let ##F(x)## and ##G(x)## be cumulative distribution functions for independent random variables ##A## and ##B## respectively with probability density functions ##f(x)=F'(x)##, ##g(x)=G'(x)##. Consider the random variable ##C=\max(A,B)##. Let ##H(x)## be the cumulative distribution function of ##C##, with pdf ##h(x)=H'(x)##. Then ##h(x) = f(x)G(x) + F(x)g(x)##. If ##C=x##, it's because either ##A=x## and ##B\leq x## or ##B=x## and ##A\leq x##. But since ##A## and ##B## are independent, to both be smaller than ##x##, the probabilities just multiply. So the cdf is simply ##F(x)G(x)##. Therefore ##\frac{d}{dx} \left(F(x)G(x)\right) = F'(x)G(x) + F(x)G'(x)##.

That's pretty much it! I thought it was kind of neat and wanted to share it.

Likes vela, FactChecker, etotheipi and 2 others

Answers and Replies

Having done the proof via probability, does that limit its scope to only probabilistic functions?

Likes member 587159 and FactChecker
mathman
Science Advisor
The direct proof is simple enough ##H(x)=P(C\le x)=P(A\le x, B\le x)=P(A\le x)P(B\le x)=F(x)G(x)## The last step uses independence of ##A## and ##B##.

I wondered how you deduced ##h(x)## without going via. the CDF first? Usually to derive the PDF of the ##\text{max}## function I would have thought you say, assuming independence, ##H(x) = P(C \leq x) = P(A \leq x) P(B \leq x) = F(x)G(x)## and then make use of the product rule to find ##h(x)##.

But for this proof we need to do it backward, i.e. already know what ##h(x)## is. So is there another way of obtaining ##h(x)##? Thanks... sorry if I missed the point ?:)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Having done the proof via probability, does that limit its scope to only probabilistic functions?

Technically here F and G are increasing functions between 0 and 1. But the derivative scales with multiplication by a constant, and is invariant under constant shifts, and also is only a property of the function locally. So I think it's easy to prove given any F and G, you can shift them and maybe multiply them by -1 and then redefine them everywhere except for the area where you want to calculate the derivative to make the functions match the requirements.

The direct proof is simple enough ##H(x)=P(C\le x)=P(A\le x, B\le x)=P(A\le x)P(B\le x)=F(x)G(x)## The last step uses independence of ##A## and ##B##.

Where do you prove the product rule for calculating derivatives here? I think I'm using the fact you posted here in my proof.

I wondered how you deduced ##h(x)## without going via. the CDF first? Usually to derive the PDF of the ##\text{max}## function I would have thought you say, assuming independence, ##H(x) = P(C \leq x) = P(A \leq x) P(B \leq x) = F(x)G(x)## and then make use of the product rule to find ##h'(x)##.

I think the point here is basically I calculate h by being clever. There pdf can be interpreted as in a small area ##\Delta x## around ##x##, the probability ##A## is in that region is ##f(x)\Delta x##. Similar for ##B## and ##g(x)##. Then if ##C## is in that ##\Delta x## region, the probability it's because ##A## is in that region and ##B##is smaller is ##G(x)f(x) \Delta x##. And a similar formula for the other way around. Adding them up gives the probability that ##C## is in the region. There's a small issue where I have double counted some of the times where both ##A## and ##B## are both in the region, but the chance of that is proportional to ##(\Delta x)^2## so goes to zero fast enough it doesn't contribute to the probability density function.

Infrared
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think the point here is basically I calculate h by being clever. There pdf can be interpreted as in a small area ##\Delta x## around ##x##, the probability ##A## is in that region is ##f(x)\Delta x##. Similar for ##B## and ##g(x)##. Then if ##C## is in that ##\Delta x## region, the probability it's because ##A## is in that region and ##B##is smaller is ##G(x)f(x) \Delta x##. And a similar formula for the other way around. Adding them up gives the probability that ##C## is in the region. There's a small issue where I have double counted some of the times where both ##A## and ##B## are both in the region, but the chance of that is proportional to ##(\Delta x)^2## so goes to zero fast enough it doesn't contribute to the probability density function.

I think this is pretty similar to a standard intuitive argument for the product rule (not using probabilistic language). Consider a rectangle with side lengths ##f(x)## and ##g(x)##, so its area is ##f(x)g(x).## Change ##x## by a small amount ##\Delta x## and apply the same reasoning.

Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yep, totally agree with that.

Cool, thanks. That makes sense.

I think this is pretty similar to a standard intuitive argument for the product rule (not using probabilistic language). Consider a rectangle with side lengths ##f(x)## and ##g(x)##, so its area is ##f(x)g(x).## Change ##x## by a small amount ##\Delta x## and apply the same reasoning.
Do you mean like$$\begin{align*}
\Delta(f(x)g(x)) = f(x+\Delta x)g(x + \Delta x) - f(x)g(x) &\approx (f(x) + \Delta x f'(x))(g(x) + \Delta x g'(x)) - f(x)g(x)\\ \\&\approx \Delta x \left(f'(x) g(x) + f(x) g'(x) \right)
\end{align*}$$where we dropped the cross term in ##(\Delta x)^2##, so$$\frac{d(f(x)g(x))}{dx} = \lim_{\Delta x \rightarrow 0}\frac{\Delta(f(x)g(x))}{\Delta x} = f'(x) g(x) + f(x) g'(x)$$

Suggested for: Proving the product rule using probability

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies