Production of electric current

In summary, an electric current is not produced when a loop of wire is either stationary or rotating in a steady magnetic field. This is because the flux, which is the dot product of the magnetic field and the loop's area, remains constant in these situations. However, if the magnetic field or the orientation of the loop changes, then the flux will change and an electric current will be produced.
uwmphysics
In which of the following situations is an electric current not produced?
a. a loop of wire rotates in a steady magnetic field
b. a loop of wire is stationary in a steady magnetic field
c. the magnetic field through the loop is increasing
d. the magnetic field through the loop is decreasing

Ok-I know that if you change hte magnetic field then the flux would change, and therefore produce an electric current, so I think its safe to say that c an d d are both wrong. But I have no clue how the wire's movement/lack of movement in a steady magnetic field would change things...can someone help me understand that?

thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
uwmphysics said:
In which of the following situations is an electric current not produced?
a. a loop of wire rotates in a steady magnetic field
b. a loop of wire is stationary in a steady magnetic field
c. the magnetic field through the loop is increasing
d. the magnetic field through the loop is decreasingOk-I know that if you change hte magnetic field then the flux would change, and therefore produce an electric current, so I think its safe to say that c an d d are both wrong. But I have no clue how the wire's movement/lack of movement in a steady magnetic field would change things...can someone help me understand that?

thank you!
Remember, the flux is the dot product of B and A: [itex]\phi = \vec{B}\cdot\vec{A} = BAcos\theta[/itex]

Does this change when the loop is stationary in a stationary field? Does it change when the loop rotates in a stationary B field (ie. the angle between B and A continually changes)?

AM

Suppose that the magnetic field is vertical upward.
Suppose you have a round loop in a horizontal plane.
Now rotate the loop along an axis which is horizontal.
What will happen to the flux of the magnetic field through the loop?

What is electric current?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor, such as a wire. It is measured in amperes (A) and is essential for the functioning of many electrical devices.

How is electric current produced?

Electric current can be produced through various methods, but the most common is through the movement of electrons. This can be achieved through chemical reactions in batteries, electromagnetic induction in generators, or photovoltaic cells in solar panels.

What factors affect the production of electric current?

The production of electric current can be affected by several factors, including the type and quality of the conductor, the strength of the magnetic field, and the temperature of the conductor. Other factors, such as resistance and voltage, also play a role in the production of electric current.

What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) are two different types of electric current. AC current constantly changes direction, while DC current flows in one direction. AC is used for long-distance transmission of electricity, while DC is used for smaller devices such as batteries and electronic devices.

What are the applications of electric current?

Electric current has numerous applications in our daily lives, including powering lights, appliances, and electronic devices. It is also used in industries for manufacturing processes, transportation, and communication systems. Additionally, electric current is vital in medical equipment, research, and scientific experiments.