1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Products formed by mixing Sodium chloride and Potassium iodide?

1. Apr 15, 2013 #1
    I've looked at this website so many times and have been saved by it! Now I need a lil help please! I can finish all the calculations and balance it myself if I can just get the equation!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sodium chloride is placed in a solution of Potassium iodide. What products are formed?

Additional notes from the professor say not to treat this as a net ionic equation as two products are formed.

2. Relevant equations
    I know that Sodium chloride is NaCl and Potassium iodide is KI.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My guess here is that it would be NaCl + KI → NaI + KCl?
    I think that is right but the extra information about it not being a net ionic equation and all has just made me a little unsure! Thank y'all so much for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I have no idea what is the expected answer. There are no two products, there is no reaction at all. The only "product" is a solution containing four different ions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted