Products formed by mixing Sodium chloride and Potassium iodide?

  • Thread starter Thread starter edenlivori
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mixing Sodium
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 23K views
edenlivori
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I've looked at this website so many times and have been saved by it! Now I need a lil help please! I can finish all the calculations and balance it myself if I can just get the equation!

Homework Statement


Sodium chloride is placed in a solution of Potassium iodide. What products are formed?

Additional notes from the professor say not to treat this as a net ionic equation as two products are formed.


Homework Equations


I know that Sodium chloride is NaCl and Potassium iodide is KI.


The Attempt at a Solution


My guess here is that it would be NaCl + KI → NaI + KCl?
I think that is right but the extra information about it not being a net ionic equation and all has just made me a little unsure! Thank y'all so much for your help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what is the expected answer. There are no two products, there is no reaction at all. The only "product" is a solution containing four different ions.