1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Professional Master's Physics degrees

1. Sep 17, 2010 #1
    What do you guys think of these Professional Master's Physics or Professional M.S. Physics degrees? Who has the best ones? I found an old report online, but the list is definitely out-dated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2010 #2
    Anyone? lol.

4. Sep 18, 2010 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well I don't know enough to rank them, but my alma mater offers such a program. I've taken a few courses just to stay current. I think it's a good program, tailored mostly for those with an engineering background.

I do know its graduates are valued by employers in this area, especially Boeing.

5. Sep 18, 2010 #4
    I'm in the Houston area, so it would probably be a pretty good degree to have as well around here. I'm considering something like this or even an M.A. Physics. I don't intend on academic career.

6. Sep 18, 2010 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My $0.02: having a master's is the 'sweet spot', if you're not considering a career in academia. It leaves you qualified for jobs that require an advanced degree, but you'd still be considered for jobs where the employer is looking for a bachelor's (i.e., not 'over qualified').

7. Sep 19, 2010 #6
    That's good to know. Honestly, I have idea what career I want to have. No particular job stands out. I just know what I want to know - math and physics to a relatively advanced "degree." Fortunately, my present part-time job at an economic development organization affords me a plethora of industry contacts. My university doesn't offer an M.A. Physics or any kind of Professional Science Masters. I'm having to look across the country. I'll post the list of universities in a minute. I'm curious which ones are Tier 1, which would be a lateral move from my university, which would be a piece of cake but I'd still have a graduate degree, etc.

8. Sep 19, 2010 #7
    http://prtl.uhcl.edu/portal/page/portal/SCE/Natural_Sciences/physics/Phys_ScienMS/Phys_PSM

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  9. Sep 19, 2010 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. Sep 19, 2010 #9
    I think I poo-pooed Washington for other reasons. lol.

Ideally, I'd like to stay in Texas, but I'm not entirely opposed to moving away to complete a graduate degree then moving back. I'm seriously considering the University of Houston - Clear Lake PSM since it's right down the street from where I work. However, I attend the University of Houston.

Here's another option I've thought about since I've seen them in undergrad - an MS in Physical Science. I would of course have my emphasis be in physics and minor in math, but it would be nice to get a broader "physical science" education at an advanced level.

http://www.marshall.edu/cos/degrees-ps-ms.asp

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook