1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programming for undergrad physics major

1. May 4, 2013 #1
    I'm starting my undergraduate degree in physical/mathematical sciences at the University of Toronto in the fall. My long-term goal at this point is a career in academia, probably theoretical physics, but I don't want to close any doors on the experimental side. Other than coursework, I would like to volunteer with a research group. Are there any programming languages that I should self-study before I get there? U of T's physics curriculum doesn't seem too heavy on computational physics but I want to be well-prepared.

Also - tangentially related - are there any software programs with a steep learning curve that I should start learning now?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2013 #2

MarneMath

Education Advisor

Well, there's quite a few programming languages you can and should learn. I tend to recommend python, because it's extremely useful and relatively easy to learn. Once you learn one language, learning more becomes a bit more simple.

On the software side, it wouldn't hurt to learn a basic mathematical program like matlab, mathematica, maple and on the statistical side SAS or R(it's free!).

4. May 4, 2013 #3
    Thank you, that's very helpful!

5. May 5, 2013 #4
    C++, learning to read fortran, Python, and Matlab should serve you well. Maybe java.

6. May 7, 2013 #5
    Python, Matlab and LabView

Also Linux/unix

7. May 7, 2013 #6

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

I second the suggestions of C++ and Matlab. I also suggest being very familiar with Mathematica.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook