Programming language for computational science in future

In summary, there is a discussion about which programming language will dominate the computational world in the next decade and beyond. While Fortran is currently the dominant language in computational physics, other languages like C++, Python, and Java are also gaining popularity. Some believe that functional programming languages will play a larger role, while others see a trend of imperative languages becoming more functional. There is also a possibility of a programming language without a language at all, where the user can simply dictate instructions to the computer. Overall, it is uncertain what will happen in the future, but it is likely that Fortran will still be a prominent language.
TrustInsight
Hello everyone.

Which programming language do you think will dominate the computational world in this decade and thereafter? I know so far Fortran is the King in computational physics, but was curious to know which other languages (like C++, Python, Java, etc.) are in the trend of dominating the computational sciences.

Technology news on Phys.org
I don't think C++ is going anywhere, but I think functional programming languages will start playing a larger role.

I am with you on Fortran...it has been used within the sciences for a while and it has a lot of code out there.

Python with its popular numpy and scipy modules is also being used a lot in engineering and science for easily creating GUIs by not very good programmers (engineers and scientists, as opposed to a CS graduate), then came along matplotlib, enthought tool, etc.etc.

Yet, I don't know what's going to happen 10, 20 years from now..sure, Fortran will still be there :-) , but I think some people are starting to focus on programming for non-programmers, in other words, a programming language without a language at all...you would just dictate to the computer what you want to achieve and it will figure it out and implement it however it can.

Due to the way CPU's are evolving these days I'd definitely say one of the functional ones. I vote for Haskell.

I think we will see a trend of imperative languages evolving to act more functional rather than pure functional languages gaining a lot of traction.

We can already see that happening with the .NET platform and things like LINQ.

DavidSnider said:
I think we will see a trend of imperative languages evolving to act more functional rather than pure functional languages gaining a lot of traction.

We can already see that happening with the .NET platform and things like LINQ.

yeah, that's true. I don't really like that trend but yeah.

What is a programming language for computational science?

A programming language for computational science is a programming language specifically designed for scientific computation and data analysis. It allows scientists to write and execute code to solve complex problems and simulate real-world phenomena.

What makes a programming language suitable for computational science?

A programming language suitable for computational science should have high performance, scalability, and the ability to handle large datasets. It should also have built-in libraries and functions for scientific computing, such as linear algebra and data visualization.

What are some examples of programming languages for computational science?

Some examples of programming languages for computational science include Python, R, MATLAB, and Julia. These languages are widely used in scientific research and have a variety of libraries and tools for data analysis and visualization.

How will programming languages for computational science evolve in the future?

In the future, programming languages for computational science are expected to become more powerful and efficient with advancements in technology. They may also incorporate more features for machine learning, artificial intelligence, and big data analysis.

Do I need to be a computer scientist to use a programming language for computational science?

No, you do not need to be a computer scientist to use a programming language for computational science. While some knowledge of programming is helpful, these languages are designed to be accessible for scientists and researchers from various disciplines.