Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programming language for computational science in future

1. Aug 1, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone.

Which programming language do you think will dominate the computational world in this decade and thereafter? I know so far Fortran is the King in computational physics, but was curious to know which other languages (like C++, Python, Java, etc.) are in the trend of dominating the computational sciences.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2012 #2

DavidSnider

Gold Member

I don't think C++ is going anywhere, but I think functional programming languages will start playing a larger role.

4. Aug 1, 2012 #3
    I am with you on Fortran...it has been used within the sciences for a while and it has a lot of code out there.

Python with its popular numpy and scipy modules is also being used a lot in engineering and science for easily creating GUIs by not very good programmers (engineers and scientists, as opposed to a CS graduate), then came along matplotlib, enthought tool, etc.etc.

Yet, I don't know what's going to happen 10, 20 years from now..sure, Fortran will still be there :-) , but I think some people are starting to focus on programming for non-programmers, in other words, a programming language without a language at all...you would just dictate to the computer what you want to achieve and it will figure it out and implement it however it can.

5. Aug 2, 2012 #4
    Due to the way CPU's are evolving these days I'd definitely say one of the functional ones. I vote for Haskell.

6. Aug 2, 2012 #5

DavidSnider

Gold Member

I think we will see a trend of imperative languages evolving to act more functional rather than pure functional languages gaining a lot of traction.

We can already see that happening with the .NET platform and things like LINQ.

7. Aug 2, 2012 #6
    yeah, that's true. I don't really like that trend but yeah.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook