Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programming the forces the sun applies on earth

1. Feb 17, 2014 #1
    Hey guys,

I am trying to create a 2d simulation of the earth going around the sun. However I am facing an issue. I am not sure what are the forces that apply on the earth in a 2d aspect.

I know there is the gravitational pull GM1M2/R^2.

I know there is momentum, which is P = V * R, but I have questions regarding it. How do I break it down to a vector? Pi + Pj.. I realize I could probably do something like calculating P and then just doing Pcose(theta)i + Psin(theta)J but what is theta? how do I calculate it? or more like which angle is it?

Also does angular velocity have to do with anything here? if so how do I calculate it?.

Sorry for the many questions. Its sad to admit.. but I took all the calculus based physics classes like 1.5 years ago plus a quantum mechanics class.. And I forgot most of the stuff after I got a job..

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2014 #2
    What you do is you choose an initial position and velocity, x and y components for both, and a small timestep [itex] \Delta t [/itex]

Then you update the position

[tex] x = x + v_x \Delta t [/tex]

same for y.

update the velocity:

[tex] v_x = v_x + a_x \Delta t [/tex]
    Where
    [tex] a_x = \frac {F_x} {m} [/tex]

now [itex] F_x = F cos { \phi } [/itex]

F is what you wrote, and

[tex] cos {\phi} = \frac {x_s - x_e} {R} [/tex]

updating v_y is identical except that F_y = F sin(phi) and

[tex] sin {\phi} = \frac {y_s - y_e} {R} [/tex]

you can find R with pythagoras.

Of course you'll be making error, because the position and velocity will change during the timestep.
    This is a rather primitive method (euler method) where the error is proportional to the timestep.
    Look up runge-kutta method

4. Feb 17, 2014 #3
    In 2D, the position, the velocity and the force are vectors with 2 components. It is convenient to set up your coordinate system so that the Sun is at its origin. The position of the Earth is then simply ##x## and ##y##, its velocity is ##v_x## and ##v_y##, and the force is ##F_x## and ##F_y##. The magnitude of the force depends on ##r##, the distance from the Sun, which is given by Pythagoras ## r = \sqrt {x^2 + y^2} ##; thus the magnitude of the force is $$ F = G {mM \over x^2 + y^2 }. $$ The direction of the force is the direction opposite to the position vector, so the direction cosines are obtained from the position vector: $$ \cos \alpha = - {x \over \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}}, \cos \beta = - {y \over \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}} $$ so the components of the force are $$ F_x = F \cos \alpha = - {x \over \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}} G {mM \over x^2 + y^2 } = - G mM x \left(x^2 + y^2 \right)^{-{3 \over 2}} $$ and $$ F_y = F \cos \beta = - G mM y \left(x^2 + y^2 \right)^{-{3 \over 2}} $$ This can be re-formulated in polar coordinates, but that will probably confuse you rather than help at this stage. Stick with the Cartesian coordinates for now, take a stab at integrating your equations numerically with the simple method (Euler's), then things will starting making a lot more sense.

5. Feb 18, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Salim,

Depending on the purposes of your simulation you want to put an adequate amount of advance knowledge in it. Just integrating in x and y may be fine for a short period, but if you need something that is stable for a few centuries of simulated time, it would be better to first study and understand Kepler's[/PLAIN] [Broken] laws. You can then decide to ignore or take into account the eccentricity of earths orbit.

If your simulation is a start towards something that includes the moon and perhaps also other planets, do some more research, or be prepared to throw away lots of rapid prototypes...

I came upon this thread via willem2

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook