Project help, parts ID and layouts

1. trying to make a device but dont know what i need, only what i need it to do...

my aim is to use a lever (ratcheting) to store energy in a coil, then route that energy
    to a pair of vertical cylinders making them spin counter and clockwise or left spins left and right right

any help identifying parts or gear/mechanical arrangments would be much apreciated

sorry for such an oddball question but ive had this project stuck in my head for years,
    and i have no other resorces at my disposal
  2. jcsd
  3. Danger

Danger 9,663
    Gold Member

It would help a lot if you tell us what you want the thing to do.
    When you say that you want to store the energy in a coil, do you mean a spring or an electrical circuit or something that you sniped out of your girlfriend's medicine cabinet or...?
    Your description isn't really too bad compared to many that I've seen, but it is incomplete. I'd rather not form any opinions as to an approach until I have a better idea of what you want.
  4. my point is to basically make a pitching machine without motars
    i just didnt want to say it cause last place i did, griefed me about wanting to make a "dumb" version
    of an already "better" and proven technology

im looking to waggle a lever 2-3 times, pull a trigger, and launch a projectile
    using 2 rotating cylinders or wheels

basically making a "gun", im hoping to have enough power to hunt boar with it (after getting it approved for such ofc) but a small game or target shooter would work just fine
  5. Danger

Danger 9,663
    Gold Member

Well, I certainly don't want to "grief" you, but I am seriously doubtful that this can be accomplished in any practical manner. I can't see that anything portable would ever deliver enough power. The best pitching machine in the world wouldn't kill a boar unless you were throwing grenades with it. (I wouldn't even trust my life to a lot of existing guns if one of those suckers was annoyed with me.)
    I'll think on it, for sure, but I'm not very optimistic. Sorry.
  6. Danger

Danger 9,663
    Gold Member

Okay, I had an idea, but I don't think that it is in line with what you want.
    If you're willing to switch from balls or bullets to arrows, something lethal can be arrived at. It won't be as efficient as existing cross-bow designs, but might be okay to play around with.
  7. thats what i was thinking,
    since guns function based on explosions

i could make a relativley silent by nature mech weapon cabable of fireing both bolt/arrow
    and stone/steel orbs

also having the possible bennefit of being classified as a "dangerous waepon"
    instead of a "firearm"

if i wanted to go super crazy, could potentialy make a "tether gun" using harpoons/hooks
    or make an attatchment for net gun
    totally illegal for hunting (fair game laws)
    but neato for showoff or setting up pulleys

im sure the effective range is going to be really short 30yrds or so
    but thats all one should need really (depending on the game)
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  8. berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Dangerous activities are not discussed here on the PF. Thread is closed.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?