Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Project Staffing formula in Excel

1. Aug 12, 2008 #1
    Greetings all -

I am trying to determine the staffing requirement for an ongoing project. Here are the project specs, and I need to know if I need a part time or full time person.

461 clients
    10 minutes to complete each client task (minimum of 10 minutes)
    Repeat each task quarterly

How many hours a week would be needed to complete these 461 clients at ten minutes each. We need to repeat this quarterly.

Do you need more information to get the Excel formula?

Thank you!
    Sue

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Erm, at least 4610 minutes, or 77 hours will be the total time for 461 ten minute tasks. I'm not really sure what you're looking for, though.

4. Aug 12, 2008 #3
    Thank you for your quick reply Cristo

I need to tell management how many hours a quarter an employee would be working on this project.
    If I had a formula in Excel, I could change those numbers of clients and numbers of minutes.

Sue

5. Aug 12, 2008 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ok, well there you go: 77 hours a quarter (if every slot is ten minutes precisely).

6. Aug 12, 2008 #5
    Do you by chance have the formula I could plug into Excel for when the times and number of clients change?

Sue

7. Aug 12, 2008 #6

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I can't remember what equations in Excel look like (I've not used it for a very long time), but algebraically, if n is the number of hours, and m is the number of minutes each task takes, then the number of hours in total is n*m/60 (then rounded up to the nearest hour).

I guess in excel this would look something like A1*B1/60

8. Aug 12, 2008 #7
    Excellent! I've got it. Thank you SO much!
    Sue

9. Aug 12, 2008 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You're welcome :smile:

10. Aug 12, 2008 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sure you meant number of clients rather than number of hours for n (the part I bolded). Just pointing it out to make sure Sue isn't confused by a typo. :wink:

11. Aug 12, 2008 #10

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Indeed I did mean number of clients: thanks MB!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?