1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile launch point problem

1. Oct 29, 2006 #1
    I'm having some difficulty with a projectiles question.

"A projectile is fired with an initial speed of 26.0 m/s at an angle of 40.0 degrees above the horizontal. The object hits the ground 8.00 s later."

The first part of the question is: "How much higher or lower is the launch point relative to the point where the projectile hits the ground?
    Express a launch point that is lower than the point where the projectile hits the ground as a negative number."

Which I already found out using y=(viy)(t)-(1/2)(g)(t^2)

Substituting the given numbers, I get -180 m, which would be the case if the landing point was below the launch point. Since the question wants a launch point lower than the landing point, the answer is 180 m.

The second part, where I'm having trouble: "To what maximum height above the launch point does the projectile rise?"

What I have,

x=(26)(cos(40))(t)
    y=(26)(sin(40))(t)-(1/2)(g)(t^2)

I can't substitute 180 m or 8 s because those numbers apply to the landing point, and I'm looking for ymax so I end up with three unknowns in two equations, which I cannot solve. I don't know how to set this up so that I can solve it.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2006 #2

rsk

To find maximum height, remember that the vertical component of velocity at the maximum height is zero.

Does this help?

4. Oct 29, 2006 #3

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hint: Try using the formulae;

[tex]v_{f}^{2}=v_{i}^{2}+2ax[/tex]

:wink:

Edit: Beaten to it.

5. Oct 31, 2006 #4
    Whoops! Should post here to let you know I used your hints to figure it out, so thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?