Projectile motion cannon problem

In summary, the cannon must shoot a shell with a muzzle velocity of at least 25.23 meters per second in order for it to clear the top of the cliff.
EvanQ

Homework Statement

A cannon, located 60.0m from the base of a vertical 25.0m tall cliff, shoots a 15 kg shell at 43.0degrees above the horizontal toward the cliff.

What must the minimum muzzle velocity be for the shell to clear the top of the cliff?

The ground at the top of the cliff is level, with a constant elevation of 25.0 m above the cannon. Under the conditions of part A, how far does the shell land past the edge of the cliff?

Homework Equations

2-dimensional motion equations such as s=ut+(1/2)at^2 etc. also tried using the range formula 2U/g sin(theta) cos(theta).

The Attempt at a Solution

i've been stuck on this problem for hours and feel like I've exhausted all of the options that i understand / am aware of. i initially tried to get a reading of time by calculating how long it would take for the ball to drop the 25m, and came out with approx 2.259, then used s=ut+(1/2)at^2 to calculate that the vertical velocity needed to make the 25m was 22.136m/s. But then after rearranging that to find the actual muzzle velocity, i think i found that that was insufficient to make the 60metres. so then i tried tackling it using that range formula i listed, and came out with a muzzle velocity of 25.23m/s, which out of frustration i entered to find i was incorrect. i have 2 more submission attempts and i am really confused as to how to attack this problem. any help would be greatly appreciated.

-evan.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write down the equations for horizontal and vertical displacement in terms of t?

i don't know how to >.<

Deal with the horizontal aspect and vertical aspect separately...

So deal with the horizontal aspect firstly.

There is no horizontal acceleration... so the horizontal component of the velocity is constant... what is this horizontal velocity? Write it in terms of v and [tex]\theta[/tex]. You need a little trigonometry here. So then what is the horizontal displacement over time... remember that velocity is constant in the horizontal direction...

Right when the cannon is fired, what's the horizontal velocity? and what's the vertical velocity?

Write these in terms of v and [tex]\theta[/tex]

horizontal velocity would be Vcos43?
so the horizontal displacement over time would be t=60/vcos43

and the vertical velocity would be Vsin43.

so would i then factor in that vertically the canonball has to go a displacement of 25m, with an acceleration of -9.8m/s, and sub 60/vcos43 in for t?

EvanQ said:
horizontal velocity would be Vcos43?
so the horizontal displacement over time would be t=60/vcos43

and the vertical velocity would be Vsin43.

so would i then factor in that vertically the canonball has to go a displacement of 25m, with an acceleration of -9.8m/s, and sub 60/vcos43 in for t?

Yup. Sounds good to me. Solve for v, and that gives your answer.

Last edited:
ok thanks, 1 last problem though.

after subbing into s=vt+.5at^2 i got:
25=(vsin43)(60/vcos43)+(-4.9)(60/vcos43)

and got all the way through rearranging and only doing simple multiplications till i got to:
25=60sin43/cos43 - 294/vcos43

then after using my calculator to do the rest, came up with a v value of 2.5586 which is obviously wrong. my calculator is in RAD but seems to be acting weird... should i change it to DEG or GRAD, or have i gone wrong in my rearranging?

EvanQ said:

This should be:
25=(vsin43)(60/vcos43)+(-4.9)[(60/vcos43)^2]

You forgot to square...

EvanQ said:

and got all the way through rearranging and only doing simple multiplications till i got to:
25=60sin43/cos43 - 294/vcos43

then after using my calculator to do the rest, came up with a v value of 2.5586 which is obviously wrong. my calculator is in RAD but seems to be acting weird... should i change it to DEG or GRAD, or have i gone wrong in my rearranging?

You're given 43 degrees... so you should be using DEG for your calculator.

alright thanks, i re-arranged again and think i have come up with the right answer.

this is for an online assignment and i get 3 attempts at submitting, I've already used 2 so this is my last chance.

i've got 43.84m/s at the moment.
is this right? it would be greatly appreciated if you could let me know, if it's wrong just say and i will keep on trying.

EvanQ said:
alright thanks, i re-arranged again and think i have come up with the right answer.

this is for an online assignment and i get 3 attempts at submitting, I've already used 2 so this is my last chance.

i've got 43.84m/s at the moment.
is this right? it would be greatly appreciated if you could let me know, if it's wrong just say and i will keep on trying.

I'm not getting that... keep trying. I'll check my work also.

i'm doing this with the working:
25 - (-4.9)(60/vcos43) = (vsin43)(60/vcos43)
25 - (-4.9) = (vsin43)
29.9/sin43 = v
v = 43.84m/s

where have i gone wrong?
i keep trying different methods of re-arranging and coming up with different answers every time... not too sure when i can cancel things out etc when dealing with trig sorry.

EvanQ said:
i'm doing this with the working:
25 - (-4.9)(60/vcos43) = (vsin43)(60/vcos43)
25 - (-4.9) = (vsin43)
29.9/sin43 = v
v = 43.84m/s

where have i gone wrong?
i keep trying different methods of re-arranging and coming up with different answers every time... not too sure when i can cancel things out etc when dealing with trig sorry.

You're missing the square again... see my post earlier... post #9

ahhh thanks, sorry missed that post.
have to go to work now, but if i just put the square in i should be ok?
it's not due until around this time tomorrow so i'll still put my answer here before putting it in just to check...

thanks a lot for your help.

EvanQ said:
ahhh thanks, sorry missed that post.
have to go to work now, but if i just put the square in i should be ok?
it's not due until around this time tomorrow so i'll still put my answer here before putting it in just to check...

thanks a lot for your help.

That's cool. I'll check. Be careful with your algebra... the square was the main mistake but your algebra also had errors...

alright had another go.
i'll go through my algebra with this one in case I've stuffed it again.

25=(vsin43)(60/vcos43)+(-4.9)(60/vcos43)^2
25=(60vsin43/vcos43)+(-4.9)(3600/(v^2)(cos43)^2)
25=(60sin43/cos43)-(17640/(v^2)(cos43)^2)
30.95=(17640/(v^2)(cos43)^2)
569.935=(v^2)(cos43)^2)
(v^2)=1065.54
v=32.6426m/s

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease be right.

Yup. That's exactly what I get. Let me know if the answer goes through.

yep correct :)
thanks too much for that.

now onto part two of the question lolol.
The ground at the top of the cliff is level, with a constant elevation of 25.0 m above the cannon. Under the conditions of part A, how far does the shell land past the edge of the cliff?

i'll let you know how i go.

EvanQ said:
yep correct :)
thanks too much for that.

now onto part two of the question lolol.

i'll let you know how i go.

Cool. :)

was 0m, got it correct. thanks again.

EvanQ said:
was 0m, got it correct. thanks again.

No prob.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path called a parabola.

2. How does a cannon problem relate to projectile motion?

A cannon problem is a common example of projectile motion, where a cannonball is launched at an angle and follows a parabolic path in the air before hitting the ground.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile in a cannon problem?

The factors that affect the trajectory of a projectile in a cannon problem include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

4. How do you calculate the range of a projectile in a cannon problem?

The range of a projectile in a cannon problem can be calculated using the equation R = (v^2 * sin(2θ)) / g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What is the maximum height reached by a projectile in a cannon problem?

The maximum height reached by a projectile in a cannon problem can be calculated using the equation H = (v^2 * sin^2(θ)) / (2g), where H is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.