1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion Cannon Question

1. Jun 29, 2008 #1
    Im new to the forum, so.. hello everyone!!

I have a quick question on projectile motion that i cant seem to get...

A cannon 60m from the base of a 25m high cliff shoots a 15kg projectile at 43 degrees above the horizon...

(a)- what is the minimum muzzle velocity for the shell to clear to top of the cliff...

now i know that in the x direction- t= 60m/Vo(cos(43)t
    In the y direction- 25m=Vo(cos(43))t+(.5)(9.8)t^2

I tried about 20 times to solve for either t or Vo and then plug that into the other equation and solve for one of the variables and then put that value into the next formula and solve for that but i cant seem to get the correct answer, which is apparently Vo= 32.6m/s. Where am i going wrong here?? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2008 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

I don't know if you're just making typos here, but there shouldn't be a t at the end of your first equation.

In your second one, that should be sin43, not cos43, since it is the y component of the initial velocity. Also, watch your signs.

For future reference, there is a Homework Forum where you can post homework problems.

4. Jun 29, 2008 #3
    Ah! yeah i dont know why i had those extra variables in there... ill be sure to post in the homework help section from now on, thanks! Got the answer by the way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?