Projectile motion conceptual problem

In summary, the question asks which egg is more likely to break when pushed off a desk with different horizontal forces. The answer is that the egg pushed with greater horizontal force is more likely to break due to the greater impulse acting on it. This is determined by comparing the final momentum of the two eggs, with the egg pushed with greater force having a greater impulse and therefore more likely to break.
raymondlam

Homework Statement

Two eggs, both housed in equivalent protective chambers, are pushed off a desk to the ground. One is pushed with greater force and travels further, while the other is pushed with less force and does not travel as far horizontally. Which egg is more likely to break? (Assuming the protective chamber perfectly snugly holds the egg so there is no jostling of the egg in the chamber)

Homework Equations

projectile motion, vertical and horizontal components

The Attempt at a Solution

In a situation where both eggs are pushed on a flat surface with no vertical drop, the horizontal force does not contribute to the egg breaking or not. It is the vertical force in the first situation that causes the egg to break. Therefore since the vertical force on both eggs in the first situation are the same, both eggs have the same likelihood of breaking (i.e. either both will break or neither will break) My father thinks otherwise, and that total component impact force is what matters, which is why I am posting this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone let me know what is the right answer?

Well instead of thinking about projectile motion, I'd think about impulse being the change in momentum Ft=mv-mu and t2>t1, compare Ft1 to Ft2.

I see, so

Egg 1
m =a
v1i> v2i
vf = 0
Ft1 = mvf - mv1i
Egg 2
m=a
v2i<v1i
v f = 0
Ft2 = mvf - mv2i

Since abs(Ft1)>abs(Ft2) impulse on the egg with more force horizontally is greater so it is more likely to break.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then moves under the influence of gravity alone. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The factors that affect the trajectory of a projectile include the initial velocity, the launch angle, the mass of the object, and the force of gravity.

3. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can decrease the horizontal distance and increase the time of flight of a projectile, resulting in a shorter range and a flatter trajectory.

4. Can a projectile change its speed during flight?

Yes, a projectile can change its speed during flight due to the force of gravity acting upon it. As the projectile moves upward, its speed decreases, and as it falls back down, its speed increases.

5. What is the relationship between the range and the angle of launch in projectile motion?

The range of a projectile is greatest when it is launched at a 45-degree angle. As the angle of launch increases or decreases, the range decreases. At a launch angle of 90 degrees, the range is zero.