1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion - confirmation on answer(s) needed

1. Feb 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "A marble rolls off a table with a horizontal velocity of 1.93m/s and onto the floor. The table is 76.5cm above the ground. Air resistance is negligible.
    Find the horizontal distance, the air time and the final velocity."

2. Relevant equations
    Δdy=ViyΔt + 0.5ayΔt2
    Rearranged: √(2Δdy/ay) = Δt *Equation A*

VconstxΔt=Δdx *Equation B*

Vfy2 = √(2ayΔdy) *Equation C*

3. The attempt at a solution
    Use equation A to find Δt, substituting in the variables gives 0.395 seconds. Therefore the ball was in the air 0.395 seconds.

Use equation B to find horizontal distance, substituting in the variables gives 0.762m [F]

Use equation C to find the final vertical velocity, which ends up being 3.87m/s [D]

Now since I know the final vertical velocity (3.87m/s downward) and the final horizontal velocity (1.93m/s [F], it remains constant since there is no air resistance) I can find the final velocity and its angle using pythagorean and trig.

The final velocity is 4.32m/s [63° above the ground] after those calculations. Is that correct? My textbook has 4.3m/s [64° below horizontal] which is oddly worded and doesn't seem to be the same.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The textbook just rounded to 1 decimal place, the value looks the same. The velocity is downwards, "below horizontal".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook