Projectile Motion Equation Problem

In summary: I'm still not sure how I would go about solving for g though.In summary, James found an initial velocity of 13.14 and a total time of 0.86 seconds? He is not confident in his answer and needs help finding a term in the y-component of the initial velocity that can be substituted into the x-component.
CaptainSensible
Projectile_Problem.jpg

Hi Everyone,

I hope someone can help me, I am attempting this projectile problem, but I keep coming unstuck. Could anyone point my in the right direction?

I have attempted to break down the initial velocity into its component forces etc, but as I do not know the initial velocity, final velocity or time, I'm struggling to find a solution.

Also, this question should only require the Kinematic (SUVAT) equations to work it out.

The answer I got is an initial velocity of 13.14, and a total time of 0.86 seconds? But I am not confident in my answer. Thanks for your help everyone, it's been driving me mad!

James

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get to these answers James?

My bad, below are my workings:First step to find the height at point A: 10*Tan(20) = 3.639

I attempted to consider the vertical component only to derive some more information:

I used the only kinematic equation that isn't time dependent: (V2=U2+2as)

I took a= -9.8 and the displacement to be 3.639 (My first problem is that the displacement should be negative? But this results in trying to square root a negative value).

This gave me the y-component of the initial velocity to be (8.446ms-1), and everything is derived from there.

I am not confident that any of this is correct, and my gut feeling is telling me that I need to find a term in the y-component that can be substituted into the x-component, but I can't seem to find a common value.

**Edit: Sorry, I should also have mentioned that I assumed V to be 0**

Thanks,
James

Last edited:
Problem is the projectile do not arrive at ground level with a zero velocity!

This is what I thought, without U, V or t is this problem possible? (Without using some sort of differential equation... ?)

Let's try this one
s = ut +1/2 at2
where u = uy is the y-component of the launched velocity
and for the time we try
ux = 10/t ... do you know where this comes from?
See if you can solve for u that way.

You have to resolve the motion into horizontal and vertical.
Horizontally no force acting on it, thus it retains initial velocity, Newton'law.
Vertically there is force acting on it.
Time and distance identical for both motion,

Last edited:
Thanks both,

andrevdh, I can see that you can find t in terms of ux as follows:

S=(u+v/2)t
10=(2*ux/2)t
10=uxt
and rearranged to give you: ux=10/t

I've given it another go, and come up with the following:

Using: S=ut+0.5at2
I've substituted the values back in, and got:
-3.64 = uSin40 * (10/uCos40) - 0.5 * -9.8 * (10/uCos40)2
Solving this has given me: 8.38ms-1

Using the horizontal component, the time would then be:

10=(2*8.38/2) * t
t = 10/8.38
t= 1.2 secondsI'm certainly more confident with the technique, even if I've not overly confident with the final value...
Thanks for all your help everyone, at least now I can talk to my lecturer with a decent attempt.
James

Were you given a definite value for g ?

CaptainSensible said:
-3.64 = uSin40 * (10/uCos40) - 0.5 * -9.8 * (10/uCos40)2
I think you have swopped the velocity components around? Shouldn't the vertical be cosine and the horizontal sine?
It seems to me the 40o angle of the velocity is with respect to the vertical?

You may have to juggle both the value for g and the launch velocity to get the answer you have.
Tricky.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space, while under the influence of gravity. It follows a parabolic path due to the constant acceleration of gravity.

What is the equation for projectile motion?

The equation for projectile motion is: y = y0 + v0t + (1/2)gt2, where y is the vertical position, y0 is the initial vertical position, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How do you solve a projectile motion problem?

To solve a projectile motion problem, you need to identify the initial position, initial velocity, time, and acceleration. Then, plug these values into the projectile motion equation and solve for the desired variable. It is also helpful to draw a diagram and break the motion into horizontal and vertical components.

What are the key assumptions in projectile motion?

The key assumptions in projectile motion are that there is no air resistance, the acceleration of gravity is constant, and the object is moving in a vacuum. In reality, these assumptions may not hold true, but they are useful simplifications for solving projectile motion problems.

How does the angle of projection affect projectile motion?

The angle of projection affects projectile motion by determining the initial velocity and the direction of the object's motion. A higher angle of projection will result in a longer horizontal displacement, while a lower angle will result in a shorter horizontal displacement. The optimal angle for maximum range is 45 degrees.