1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion, Find Gravity

1. Sep 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You kick a ball with a speed of 2 m/s, at a 45 degree inclination to the horizontal. You measure h to be 4⁄15 m. What planet are you on?
    D2SIr4d.jpg
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Upon first glance, I thought that this problem did not provide enough information. However, my instructor insisted that it does, so I re-examined. My next idea was to take the following two equations:
    [itex] 0 = v_{0}Sin\Theta -gt [/itex]
    [itex] \frac{4}{15} = v_{0}Sin\Theta - \frac{1}{2}gt^{2} [/itex]
    From the first equation, I found:
    [itex] t = \frac{v_{0}sin\Theta }{g} [/itex]
    Then I substituted this into the second equation. After some manipulation, I ended up with:
    [itex] \frac{4}{15} = v_{0}sin\Theta -\frac{1}{2}\frac{v_{0}^{2}sin^{2}\Theta }{g} [/itex]
    Which simplifies to:
    [itex] v_{0}^{2}sin^{2}\Theta = (v_{0}sin\Theta - \frac{4}{15})2g [/itex]
    Finally:
    [itex] g = \frac{v_{0}^{2}sin^{2}\Theta }{2(v_{0}sin\Theta - \frac{4}{15})} [/itex]
    At this point I would simply substitute my known values. However, I admit that I am not entirely confident in this answer so I wanted to see if there is perhaps and easier approach, or if my approach is even close at all. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2015 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello fgc_grapplerGOD. Welcome to PF.

Your second equation is missing a ##\ t \ .##

##\displaystyle \ \Delta s=v_0\,t+(1/2)a\,t^2\ ##

4. Sep 1, 2015 #3
    Ah thank you very much, rookie mistake there :P.
    So after making the necessary adjustments I have:
    [itex] \frac{4}{15} = (v_{0}sin\Theta )(\frac{v_{0}sin\Theta }{g})-\frac{1}{2g}(\frac{v_{0}sin\Theta }{g})^{2} [/itex]
    Which simplifies to:
    [itex] \frac{4}{15} = \frac{v_{0}^{2}sin^{2}\Theta }{g} -\frac{1}{2}\frac{v_{0}^{2}sin^{2}\Theta }{g} [/itex]
    Finally, I found:
    [itex] g = \frac{15}{4}(v_{0}^{2}sin^{2}\Theta -\frac{1}{2}v_{0}^{2}sin^{2}\Theta ) [/itex]
    At which point I would just substitute my known values. This approach is sufficient?

5. Sep 1, 2015 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is g doing in the denominator with the 2 from the 1/2 ?

... but it looks like the final result you gave is fine.

6. Sep 1, 2015 #5
    That was just an error I made in converting from my paper solution into Latex. Thank you for your help!

7. Sep 1, 2015 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Of course you can simplify that result.

8. Sep 1, 2015 #7
    Yes I actually just did that. I simplified to:
    [itex] g = \frac{v_{0}^{2}sin^{2}\theta}{2h} [/itex]
    Which is actually a much cleaner result that I had anticipated. Of course my final answer was:
    [itex] \frac{15}{4} \frac{m}{s^{2}}[/itex]
    After doing some research we can conclude the projectile was on either Mars or Mercury.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted