Projectile Motion: Finding angles given velocity and impact coordinates

In summary, the conversation is about finding the angles of elevation for a rifle shot given the muzzle velocity and impact coordinates. The speaker is looking for hints on how to solve the equations to find the angles, as they are having trouble remembering the trick to solving them. They mention using a calculator but want to be able to solve the problem without it.
joepeezy
I'm not looking for someone to work this one out for me, and I know I have done this type of problem in entry level physics, but it's popped up again in dynamics, and physics is mostly a blur these days.

Given the muzzle velocity and impact coordinates of a rifle, find the angles of elevation that will make the shot.

we can derive two equations with two unknowns, t and θ, however I can't remember the trick to solving this equation.

I can get the answer with my favorite calculator, but that's cheating, and I want to be able to do this one in a pinch.

Any hints you guys can provide would be wonderful,

Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
There are three equations. One for the horizontal motion at constant speed, and for the vertical motion - one for distance and one for velocity. Usually you choose one horizontal equation and one vertical one, eliminate time and solve for velocity.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is thrown or projected into the air and is subject to the force of gravity. The object follows a curved path due to the combination of its horizontal velocity and the downward pull of gravity.

What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion are initial velocity, launch angle, and the force of gravity. Air resistance may also have an impact on the motion, but it is often negligible.

How do you calculate the initial velocity of a projectile?

The initial velocity of a projectile can be calculated using the equation v = √(v0x² + v0y²), where v0x is the initial horizontal velocity and v0y is the initial vertical velocity. These values can be found using trigonometric functions and the launch angle.

What is the formula for finding the angle of a projectile given its velocity and impact coordinates?

The formula for finding the angle of a projectile given its velocity and impact coordinates is tan(θ) = (v0y ± √(v0y² + 2gy0)) / v0x, where θ is the launch angle, v0y is the initial vertical velocity, v0x is the initial horizontal velocity, and y0 is the vertical displacement.

How does projectile motion relate to real-world situations?

Projectile motion is a fundamental concept in physics and is applicable to many real-world situations such as throwing a ball, shooting a projectile, or launching a rocket. Understanding projectile motion can also help in predicting the trajectory of objects and optimizing their motion for various purposes.