1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion: Finding angles given velocity and impact coordinates

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    I'm not looking for someone to work this one out for me, and I know I have done this type of problem in entry level physics, but it's popped up again in dynamics, and physics is mostly a blur these days.

Given the muzzle velocity and impact coordinates of a rifle, find the angles of elevation that will make the shot.

we can derive two equations with two unknowns, t and θ, however I can't remember the trick to solving this equation.

I can get the answer with my favorite calculator, but that's cheating, and I want to be able to do this one in a pinch.

Any hints you guys can provide would be wonderful,

Joe

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2012 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

There are three equations. One for the horizontal motion at constant speed, and for the vertical motion - one for distance and one for velocity. Usually you choose one horizontal equation and one vertical one, eliminate time and solve for velocity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook