Compute the angle θ that will maximize the height of h of the impact point

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle θ that will maximize the height of the impact point of a projectile launched at 24m/s and the equation used to solve for this angle. The method involves taking the derivative of the function for the height of the impact point with respect to θ and setting it equal to zero. This results in the value of θ that will maximize the height being found, and it is the only value for which the vertical velocity of the projectile at the impact point will be zero.
Alexanddros81

Homework Statement

A projectile, launched at A with an initial velovity of 24m/s at the angle θ, impacts the vertical wall at B. Compute the angle θ that will maximize the height of h of the impact point. What is this maximum height?

Pytel_Dynamics_12_58a.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess I have to assume something but I can't think of what this is.
Also have a look on my previous post which is related:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...itial-v-24-m-s-at-angle-th-60-degrees.922032/
from previous post I can compute h in terms of θ. This is one equation with two unknowns.
So do i have to make an assumption on the velocities ?

By the way the previous post was 12.57 and this one is 12.58. If someone can correct the number of previous one mentioned in the title that would be great. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Alexanddros81 said:
from previous post I can compute h in terms of θ. This is one equation with two unknowns.
So do i have to make an assumption on
And you want to maximize this height by changing θ.
If h is a function of θ, how do you find θ for which h is maximum? Have you studied differentiation?

Here is where your hunch that vy = 0 when the projectile hits the wall comes into play. (Why?)

Pytel_Dynamics044.jpg

We assume that ##v_y=0## meaning that if there is no speed in the upward direction there is no motion upwards. The ball even if there was no wall could not get any higher for the angle calculated above.

Alexanddros81 said:
View attachment 208704

We assume that ##v_y=0## meaning that if there is no speed in the upward direction there is no motion upwards. The ball even if there was no wall could not get any higher for the angle calculated above.
On the LHS, you have taken derivative of y w.r.t. time but on the LHS, you have differentiated w.r.t.θ.
It is dy/dθ=0.

Other than that, your math looks correct to me.
You could have got there faster if you'd directly differentiated sec2θ as 2sec2θtanθ. The sec2θ term can be taken out common and the rest of the LHS can be equated to 0, which directly gives you the value of tanθ.

Likes TSny
Alexanddros81 said:
View attachment 208704
We assume that ##v_y=0##
Is the assumption ##v_y=0## correct? Note that @cnh1995 's method yields the answer without this assumption. Actually, your solution will match cnh1995's since you did set the derivative of yat wall with respect to the launch angle θ equal to zero. So, you can check if your answer for θ makes ##v_y=0## at the wall.

a) I don't quite understant though (or grasp the idea of) what does the derivative of yat wall with respect to the launch angle θ means (or shows)
- also when set to zero.
b) I have substitute in equation ##v_y=-gt+v_0sinθ## the angle θ with 72.98deg and i don't get vy=0

Perhaps worth looking at..
https://www.mathsisfun.com/calculus/maxima-minima.html
If you have an arbitrary function then the maxima and minima occur where the slope is zero. So typically you differentiate the function, equate the result to zero and find the solutions.

Alexanddros81 said:
a) I don't quite understant though (or grasp the idea of) what does the derivative of yat wall with respect to the launch angle θ means (or shows)
- also when set to zero.
As you change the launch angle, the projectile hits the wall at different heights. yat wall is just notation for the height that the projectile hits the wall. It is a function of the launch angle θ. You want to maximize this function. You found an expression for this function. The value of θ that maximizes yat wall is found by setting dyat wall/dθ = 0 (as you essentially did).

b) I have substitute in equation ##v_y=-gt+v_0sinθ## the angle θ with 72.98deg and i don't get vy=0
Yes. So, this shows that vy is generally not equal to zero at the wall when the projectile hits the wall at maximum height on the wall.

Likes Alexanddros81

1. What is the formula for computing the angle θ that maximizes the height of the impact point?

The formula for computing the angle θ that maximizes the height of the impact point is: θ = arctan(h/d), where h is the height of the impact point and d is the distance from the initial point of impact.

2. How does changing the angle θ affect the height of the impact point?

Changing the angle θ will directly affect the height of the impact point. As the angle increases or decreases, the height of the impact point will also increase or decrease respectively. The angle θ that maximizes the height of the impact point will result in the highest possible height for the impact point.

3. Can the angle θ that maximizes the height of the impact point be negative?

No, the angle θ that maximizes the height of the impact point cannot be negative. The angle will always be positive and within the range of 0 to 90 degrees.

4. What other factors can affect the height of the impact point besides the angle θ?

Besides the angle θ, other factors that can affect the height of the impact point include the initial velocity of the object, the distance from the initial point of impact, and any external forces acting on the object such as air resistance or gravity.

5. Is there a way to visualize how changing the angle θ affects the height of the impact point?

Yes, you can use a graph or a simulation to visualize how changing the angle θ affects the height of the impact point. You can plot the angle θ on the x-axis and the height of the impact point on the y-axis to see the relationship between the two variables. Alternatively, you can use a simulation to see the trajectory of the object at different angles and observe how the height of the impact point changes.