1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion flight time of ball

1. Nov 18, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Projectile motion

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ball is thrown with an intial velocity of v0 at an angle theta from the horizontal. Find the flight time of the ball in terms of H and g only.

2. Relevant equations
    t = (2 v0 sin theta)/g

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok. I found theta to be the tan inverse of 4R/H. Thus, the initial velocity is sqrt[Rg/sin(2tan-1(4R/H))] - a little longwinded but accurate. However, my problem arises when I plug these values into the above equation and those really nasty 'R's refuse to go away, and the problem specifically states that g and H should be my only variables. I feel like i must be missing something really obvious, and if so, i apologise in advance, but please help anyway! Thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

When the ball reaches the height H, its velocity is equal to zero. So using kinametics equation we get (vosin theta)^2 = 2gH. From this equation find the value of (v0sin theta) and plug it the relevant equation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?