Projectile Motion(Fun. Fun) where object is thrown from ground level

In summary, the person is seeking help with a physics problem involving a ball being thrown at 15 meters per second at an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal. They have tried different methods of solving the problem and are unsure of their answers. They eventually used the equation V = u + at to solve for the time of flight, range, and maximum height of the ball. They also mention using 15sin(30) to calculate the time and 15cos(30) to decompose the initial velocity vector into its horizontal and vertical components. They then ask for confirmation that their answer is correct.
guesswho9
Ok basically I've tried loads of methods of working it out and I'd just like to see how someone else would do it because all the answers I get don't seem right and I am not confident about them. A bit of explaining of why things that may seem odd are wouldn't be minded elther.
I've tried working out the speeds on both planes using 15Sin(30 and 15cos(30 but when I try and apply the answer to my motion equations S = ut + (0.5)(A)(t squared) and V(Squared) = U(Squared) + 2as, It doesn't seem to work out elther way. The way I did it in the end was using V = u + at working out U with sin and assuming a = -9.81 and V = 0.

Here's the question:
A ball is thrown from the ground with a velocity of 15ms at an angle of 30 to the horiziontal.
Calculate
A . It's time of flight(The time between the point at which it leaves the thrower's hand when it hits the ground) assuming that the ground is level.
B. It's range.
C. It's maximum height.

-Shoot.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to decompose the initial velocity vector into its horizontal and vertical components. The horizontal component has a magnitude of 15cos(30deg.) = 15(sqrt(3)/2) m/sec. The vertical component's magnitude is 15/2 m/sec.

Look at the kinematic equations for the motion vertically and for its motion horizontally. If the ball were thrown upward at a speed of 15/2 = 7.5 m/sec, the only force acting on it is the force of gravity, so you should be able to figure out when (the value of t) the ball comes back to the ground. That will be the answer to A. You can then substitute this value of t in your equation for horizontal position, and that will give you the answer to B. For C, the maximum height occurs midway through the ball's flight.

Ok so if I try 15Sin(30 and work out u is 7.5 m/s and then put this into V = u + at where V = 0, And work out T that way as the ball's time is how to be effected how high it goes and then falls. I get 0.765(Sec) with this - Is this correct?

Oh and my working out is that accleration is minus as the ball is being thrown upwards so A = G = - 9.81 because an object being thrown up should deacclerate.

So input that into V = u + at gives me 0 = 7.5 + (-9.81)(t) and then changing the subject so -9.81t is on the otherside and so turned into a plus, And then diviiding 7.5 by 9.81.

- That's my answer to A so far, I want to check that is correct before I move on.

It would help if you would tell us what "u" means! Is it the x or y component of velocity? And why are you "trying" 15 cos(30) and 15 sin(30)? What are you trying to use them for?

HallsofIvy said:
It would help if you would tell us what "u" means! Is it the x or y component of velocity? And why are you "trying" 15 cos(30) and 15 sin(30)? What are you trying to use them for?

Oh of course sorry - I'm too used to just doing this in my exercise book as notes.
U is initial velocity of the traveling object and I am working it out in the Y axis.
I'm using 15Sin(30 because I need to use that to work out the time, The time is going to be the time it traveled in the parabola instead of the straight line you'd get on the X axis.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is thrown or launched into the air and is influenced by both its initial velocity and the force of gravity.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity are the main factors that affect projectile motion. Air resistance and wind can also play a role in the motion of the object.

3. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula: R = (V2sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, V is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does the angle of launch affect projectile motion?

The angle of launch affects the range and height of the projectile. The range is maximum when the angle of launch is 45 degrees, and the height is maximum when the angle of launch is 90 degrees.

5. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical components in projectile motion?

The horizontal component of projectile motion is the motion in the x-direction and is not affected by gravity. The vertical component is the motion in the y-direction and is influenced by gravity. Both components work together to determine the path of the projectile.