How Is the Rebound Distance of a Ball Calculated After Impact?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of suvat equations to determine the rebound distance of a ball after colliding with a wall. The equation S = 0.5 * (u + v)*t is used, where u is the initial velocity of 50m/s and v is the rebound velocity. The conversation also touches on the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy in an elastic collision, and the use of the equation y = x * tan(theta) - (g*x^2)/(2*u^2*cos(theta)^2) to plot the projectile motion curve. It is mentioned that the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity must be taken into account, and that the rebound velocity is equal to the initial velocity. The conversation concludes
oblong-pea
Homework Statement
A ball is fired at angle (theta) with velocity (v) from point 0 (the origin) and it follows projectile motion.

It hits a wall at distance (D) from the origin and rebounds.

For this example
theta = 50 deg
V = 50m/s
g = 9.81 m/s^2
D = 200 m

I can plot a graph of the projectile motion, however I'm trying to write an equation to plot the rebound curve of this ball after hitting the wall on a graph with the variables given.

All momentum is conserved, no velocity lost

In this case the ball hits the wall at yIm = 48.41m high from the x axis (0).

I've been stuck on this for a while, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Relevant Equations
X = horizontal distance
Y = height of ball

For any x distance:
Y = x*tan(theta) - [ (g*x^2) / (2*v^2*cos^2(theta)) ] plots the projectile motion curve.
My attempts involved using suvat equations to determine the rebound distance :
S = 0.5 * (u + v)*t
With u being 50 and v being 0

t being time taken to fall down (Height of impact / gravitational acceleration)
t = 48.41 / 9.81

Plugging the numbers in gives
S = 123.365m

This is where i get stuck.
I tried changing the x values in the projectile equation to between the D and the rebound distance s. It of course plots only that section of the projectile curve. I can't work out how to tell it to plot a rebound from point of impact at yIm to the distance it rebounds by.

Physics news on Phys.org
How are you modelling the impact with the wall?

Note that momentum is a vector, so i a collision with the wall momentum cannot be conserved. If the collison is elastic, then KE and magnitude of momentum are conserved.

PeroK said:
How are you modelling the impact with the wall?

Note that momentum is a vector, so i a collision with the wall momentum cannot be conserved. If the collison is elastic, then KE and magnitude of momentum are conserved.

Sorry, I realized i gave a bit of a poor explanation.
Essentially the horizontal rebound velocity is the same as before the collision. So (-) 50m/s.
There are no lossess due to the collison or air resistance and the ground is level.

oblong-pea said:
Sorry, I realized i gave a bit of a poor explanation.
Essentially the horizontal rebound velocity is the same as before the collision. So (-) 50m/s.
There are no lossess due to the collison or air resistance and the ground is level.

The horizontal velocity is not ##50 m/s##.

oblong-pea said:
All momentum is conserved, no velocity lost
These statements (assuming they refer to the ball) are not correct. I assume you mean that no kinetic energy is lost in the collision with the wall, i.e. the collision is perfectly elastic.

oblong-pea said:
In this case the ball hits the wall at yIm = 48.41m high from the x-axis (0).
This is correct, so you are on the right track.

oblong-pea said:
For any x distance:
$$ y = x \tan(\theta) - \frac{gx^2}{2u^2\cos^2\theta} $$ plots the projectile motion curve.
This equation is nearly correct (I have corrected it and translated it to ## \LaTeX ## so it is easier to read) but you don't seem to have used it. Never mind, it is probably better to stay with first principles.

oblong-pea said:
My attempts involved using suvat equations to determine the rebound distance :
S = 0.5 * (u + v)*t
With u being 50 and v being 0
Where did you get this equation from? If you want to know about the motion of the ball after the collision then you need to know the components of its velocity ## ( v_x, v_y ) ## immediately after the collision. What can we say about these if the collision is perfectly elastic?

Edit: sorry @PeroK, I forgot to hit "Post" on this message when I wrote it before you came in!

pbuk said:
These statements (assuming they refer to the ball) are not correct. I assume you mean that no kinetic energy is lost in the collision with the wall, i.e. the collision is perfectly elastic.This is correct, so you are on the right track.This equation is nearly correct (I have corrected it and translated it to ## \LaTeX ## so it is easier to read) but you don't seem to have used it. Never mind, it is probably better to stay with first principles.Where did you get this equation from? If you want to know about the motion of the ball after the collision then you need to know the components of its velocity ## ( v_x, v_y ) ## immediately after the collision. What can we say about these if the collision is perfectly elastic?

Edit: sorry @PeroK, I forgot to hit "Post" on this message when I wrote it before you came in!

Thanks for your help so far.

Sorry, i understand i missed out the horizontal and vertical components.

So if the launch velocity is 50m/s, then the horizontal velocity is
Uh = 50 x cos(50) = 32.13 m/s

The only information I've been given is that there is no air resistance, the ground is level and the ball rebounds from the wall without loss of velocity. The wall is fixed.

So if there is no loss of velocity on the rebound, would the distance traveled horizontally from the rebound be
S = 0.5 (u+v) t? Or is this an unsuitable suvat to use.
With t still being the height of impact (yIm) divided by g (9.81)?

And if so how would this translate into a equation for y distance to plot as a graph? - Does it rebound at the same angle as the launch angle?

Thanks

oblong-pea said:
And if so how would this translate into a equation for y distance to plot as a graph? - Does it rebound at the same angle as the launch angle?

Thanks

For a perfectly elastic collision: angle of incidence = angle of reflection.

Related to How Is the Rebound Distance of a Ball Calculated After Impact?

What is the physics behind a ball rebounding off of a wall?

When a ball hits a wall, it experiences a change in momentum due to the force of the impact. This change in momentum causes the ball to bounce off the wall in the opposite direction. This is known as the law of reflection, where the angle of incidence (the angle at which the ball hits the wall) is equal to the angle of reflection (the angle at which the ball bounces off the wall).

What factors affect the rebound of a ball off of a wall?

The rebound of a ball off of a wall is affected by several factors, including the type of material the wall is made of, the elasticity of the ball, the angle at which the ball hits the wall, and the speed at which the ball is traveling. Other factors such as air resistance and temperature can also play a role.

Why does a ball lose energy when rebounding off of a wall?

When a ball hits a wall, some of its kinetic energy is converted into potential energy as it compresses against the wall. This potential energy is then released as the ball bounces back, but not all of it is converted back into kinetic energy. Some energy is lost due to friction and air resistance, resulting in a decrease in the ball's speed.

Can a ball rebound off of a wall at the same speed it was thrown?

In ideal conditions, a ball could rebound off of a wall at the same speed it was thrown, but in reality, there will always be some energy lost due to external factors. Depending on the angle and speed of the ball, as well as the materials involved, the ball may rebound at a slightly lower or higher speed than it was thrown.

How can the rebound of a ball off of a wall be maximized?

To maximize the rebound of a ball off of a wall, the ball should be thrown at a perpendicular angle to the wall and with a high initial speed. The materials of the ball and wall should also be chosen for their elasticity, as well as the surface conditions and environmental factors, such as temperature. Additionally, minimizing factors such as air resistance and friction can also help maximize the rebound.