Projectile Motion: Solving for Angle and Time

• Thread starter Nate-2016
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, the projectile is launched from the top of a 200m tower upwards at a non-vertical angle above level horizontal ground with an initial velocity of 84m/s and rises to a maximum height of 240m above ground level. The angle of projection and time and flights are determined by solving for theta.
Nate-2016

Homework Statement

A projectile is launched from the top of a 200m tower upwards at a non-vertical angle above level horizontal ground with an initial velocity of 84m/s and rises to a maximum height of 240m above ground level. Determine the angle of projection and time and flights.

Answer is (19.5 degrees, 4.14 seconds)

Homework Equations

I know i have to use the V^2 = U^2 + 2as and set V^2 to zero. But because the U is squared and I have 84sin0, I am unsure on how to solve for theta.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have 2 attempts

0=84sin0+2*(-9.81)*240
-2/-9.81x 240 = 84sin0^2
sqrt (8.49 x 10-4) = 84sin0
sin-1(0.029/84) = 0
0 = 0.197

84sin0^2=sqrt(2-9.81x240)
sin0^2=68.62/84
0=54.77

Physics news on Phys.org
Having trouble understanding your notation (0 instead of [itex] \theta [/itex]) but one mistake I'm seeing right away is the following: in the equation that you're applying, the [itex] s [/itex] stands for displacement. So if the projectile is launched from the top of the 200m tower, and reaches a max. height of 240m; is its displacement really 240m?

yeah i replaced theta with 0.

Im not sure, I have used this question to solve for maximum height of the projectile, so I was under the assumption I could use this equation backwards. I am not sure what the actual displacement is. I think that when i do it usually i only take into consideration the height reached above the tower so i shall substitute that in and try again and let you know how i get on. Thank you for your help.

84 sin^2θ = sqrt (2 x (-9.81) x 40 )
sin-1(28.01/84)
= 19.5 degrees

Thank you

Nice! Glad you got it :)
For future reference: the equation refers to the displacement in the motion, since it comes out of the following two equations: [tex] x=x_0+v_0t+\frac{1}{2}at^2 \\ v=v_0+at [/tex]
Try getting the formula you used from these other two by eliminating the time, it's a worthwhile exercise ;)

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is thrown, shot, or launched into the air and is affected by the force of gravity.

2. How is the trajectory of a projectile calculated?

The trajectory of a projectile can be calculated using the equations of motion, which take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the presence of air resistance. Other factors such as wind and elevation can also affect the range.

4. How can we determine the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile can be determined by using the equation h = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can you provide an example of a real-life projectile?

A baseball being thrown by a pitcher, a basketball being shot by a player, and a rocket being launched into space are all examples of real-life projectiles.