Projectile Motion: Calculating Initial Speed for Arrow at 30° Angle

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the initial speed of an arrow shot at a 30 degree angle in order to hit a target 100 meters away. The solution involves using kinematics equations and separating the horizontal and vertical movements. The final answer is ~33.6 m/s, and it is recommended to solve the problem using the "long" way in order to fully understand the concept.
sarabee
1. An arrow is shot upward at a 30 degree angle compared to horizontal in order to hit a target that is 100 meters away. What was the initials peed of the arrow if it hits the center of the target?2. This is the hardest question on my sheet, can someone please walk me through how to do it?3. This stumped me and I really have no idea how to start. Could someone please at least start me on this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
The trick to solving these problems are detaching horizontal movement and vertical movement. What I mean by this is thinking about each dimension separately.

Okay, so we first list what we know.
θ = 30 degrees, d = 100 meters, g = -9.8 meters per second squared

We also need these kinematics equations:
d = vi * t + 1/2 * a * t^2
v = vi + a*t

We then think about the problem in the horizontal. There is no acceleration in the horizontal, so we use our first kinematics equation:
d = vh*t

We can rewrite vhorizontal as voriginal * cos(θ). Now, the equation for horizontal distance is:
d = vi * cos(θ) * t.

Now, we have to determine t.

We can't determine the t from the horizontal, so we switch over to thinking in the vertical.

We use the second kinematics equation, using gravity as our acceleration. At the peak of the arrow's path, vv = 0.

The equation is now:
vi * sin(θ) - 9.8 * ttop = 0

However, the fact remains that, at the moment, we are solving for the time it takes to reach the top of the arrow's path. We need the time it takes to hit the ground. We know that it takes the same amount of time to go up as the amount of time to go down.

So, the equation for t is:
t = ttop * 2

ttop = t/2

Now, we plug that into vi * sin(θ) - 9.8 * ttop = 0. Rewrite the equation to solve for t.

Plug the equation for t we just found into the equation for horizontal distance:
d = vi * cos(θ) * t

I trust you can take over from here.

Hope this helped!

Last edited:
Epic Mango said:
The trick to solving these problems are detaching horizontal movement and vertical movement. What I mean by this is thinking about each dimension separately.

Okay, so we first list what we know.
θ = 30 degrees, d = 100 meters, g = -9.8 meters per second squared

We also need these kinematics equations:
d = vi * t + 1/2 * a * t^2
v = vi + a*t

We then think about the problem in the horizontal. There is no acceleration in the horizontal, so we use our first kinematics equation:
d = vh*t

We can rewrite vhorizontal as voriginal * cos(θ). Now, the equation for horizontal distance is:
d = vi * cos(θ) * t.

Now, we have to determine t.

We can't determine the t from the horizontal, so we switch over to thinking in the vertical.

We use the second kinematics equation, using gravity as our acceleration. At the peak of the arrow's path, vv = 0.

The equation is now:
vi * sin(θ) - 9.8 * ttop = 0

However, the fact remains that, at the moment, we are solving for the time it takes to reach the top of the arrow's path. We need the time it takes to hit the ground. We know that it takes the same amount of time to go up as the amount of time to go down.

So, the equation for t is:
t = ttop * 2

ttop = t/2

Now, we plug that into vi * sin(θ) - 9.8 * ttop = 0. Rewrite the equation to solve for t.

Plug the equation for t we just found into the equation for horizontal distance:
d = vi * cos(θ) * t

I trust you can take over from here.

Hope this helped!

Hey, thanks! I tried to solve the problem, can you tell me if this is correct?
http://imgur.com/LzbTTlx

Sorry, but 20 is not the answer.

In fact, there is a much easier way to do this problem, using one formula.

The formula is:

R = vi2*sin(2θ)/g

R is the range, or your horizontal distance. If you check with this, it gives you the value of vi as ~33.6 m/s.

Generally, however, the "long" way of doing the problem is better. This is just a really quick shortcut, but you won't actually learn anything the short way. :D

sarabee said:
Hey, thanks! I tried to solve the problem, can you tell me if this is correct?
http://imgur.com/LzbTTlx
A few problems there.
You've used cos of the angle for both vertical and horizontal. That can't be right.
I don't understand how you get t = 0.177. The time taken will be some seconds.
Please don't post handwritten algebra as images. Make the effort to type it into the post. That bit of effort by the person posting saves effort for everyone reading.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air that is affected by gravity. It is a type of motion that is commonly seen in sports, such as throwing a ball or shooting an arrow.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, the angle at which the object is launched, the air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors can impact the trajectory, distance, and time of flight of the object.

3. How can I calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the equation R = v2 * sin(2θ) / g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes no air resistance.

4. What is the most efficient angle for maximum range in projectile motion?

The most efficient angle for maximum range in projectile motion is 45 degrees. This angle allows for the greatest distance to be covered while still maintaining a relatively low initial velocity.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can greatly impact projectile motion by slowing the object down and altering its trajectory. It increases with the speed of the object and can cause the object to fall shorter than expected.