Projectile motion homework help

In summary: But the sign of the acceleration is still negative, indicating its direction towards the ground. In summary, when finding the time of flight for a projectile, we use a negative value for gravity (-9.8 m/s^2) because it always acts in the downwards direction, which is represented by a negative coordinate system. This convention may be counterintuitive, but it is consistent with Newton's second law and allows for easier calculations. The negative sign does not change even when the projectile starts falling back to Earth, as it still indicates the direction of the acceleration.
nirvana1990
Why is gravity always taken as negaive when applied to the whole projectile i.e. when finding the time of flight for the entire projectile we use gravity as -9.8 even though it is only negative for the first half of the projectile while the object is moving upwards against gravity?
Please help as i am very confused!

:uhh:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Its just a convention. Positive speed and positive acceleration tell us that it is directed upwards whereas negative speed and negative acceleration indicate a downward motion. it would work just as well the other way around if a little counter intuitive.

Welcome to PF!

nirvana1990 said:
when finding the time of flight for the entire projectile we use gravity as -9.8 even though it is only negative for the first half of the projectile while the object is moving upwards against gravity?

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Remember Newton's second law? It says that direction of the force and acceleration are the same. At all times during the motion of the projectile the direction of the force of gravity (we assume a uniform gravitational field) always points down, towards the ground. Also, for convenience, we usually set up the coordinate system such that the negative y-axis points in this direction. Therefore the gravitational force, [itex]F_g = -mg\hat{y}[/itex].

Right...but since gravity always acts downwards, the acceleration for the 1st half of the projectile motion should be -9.81 since the object is decelerating towards its max. height but the acceleration for the downwards projectile motion (e.g.when the ball is on it's way back down to earth) should be +9.81 since the ball is accelerating. So when calculating the time of flight using S=Ut+0.5at^2 applied to the vertical motion only why do we use a as -9.81 even though a should only be negative while the ball is going upwards?
I hope this is understandable! i have a way with words!

The acceleration is always downwards. In the coordinate system that is conventional downwards is represented by a negative sign. The sign doesn't change once the projectile starts falling to Earth.

I think you are confusing a negative sign to mean deceleration and a positive to mean acceleration and that is just not the case. The sign indicates the direction of the acceleration.

nirvana1990 said:
So when calculating the time of flight using S=Ut+0.5at^2 applied to the vertical motion only why do we use a as -9.81 even though a should only be negative while the ball is going upwards?

For a body accelerating towards the ground, the equation would actually read,

[tex]s = h_{max} + ut + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

u = 0, therefore [itex]s - h_{max} = \frac{1}{2}at^2[/itex]. Is [itex]s - h_{max}[/itex] positive or negative?

Last edited:
Oh i see, i'd never have thought of it like that! Thank you soo much! I can now rest!

Kurdt said:
I think you are confusing a negative sign to mean deceleration and a positive to mean acceleration and that is just not the case. The sign indicates the direction of the acceleration.

That's true. When the direction of the velocity and acceleration are opposite, then the body is slowing down, or decelerating.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is thrown or launched into the air and moves under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path called a parabola.

2. How do you calculate the initial velocity of a projectile?

The initial velocity of a projectile can be calculated by using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

3. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical components of projectile motion?

The horizontal component of projectile motion refers to the motion of the object along the x-axis, while the vertical component refers to the motion along the y-axis. The horizontal component remains constant, while the vertical component changes due to the influence of gravity.

4. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the equation R = v2 sin2θ / g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Air resistance can affect the trajectory of a projectile by slowing down its speed and reducing its range. The greater the air resistance, the greater the deviation from the ideal parabolic path. This is why projectiles launched in a vacuum will have a longer range compared to those launched in a medium with air resistance.